Question : Meth & Filters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
L

lewismansell

I'm going away on my first bivvy trip next week for 2 nights in the Peak District. Got two last questions before I go.

1. I'm taking a gas-stove to cook my dinners on, but also taking a Coke-can Meth stove for if I'm just heating up some water for a brew. What's best to put the Meth in for my backpack, if I'm only going to need 250ml?

2. I'm planning on stealing all my water from rivers and then boiling it up to purify it, idea being taking a spare plastic bottle for river water, boiling it with dinner, and then putting it into my proper bottle. Is it worth having a bit of cotton to put over the top of the bottle to stop any solids getting in, or should I go for something a bit more substantial as a basic filter?

Also, any good peaks/routes I should hit next week, let me know!

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
store the meths in the original container you buy it in it does the job fine i would store it in a pouch away from your food supply you could opt for a trangia meths bottle but i have had accidents in the past mixing it up with a drinking bottle in the dark. At least the meths bottle has a child cap lol.

In respect to filtering depends on the source but since you probably are unsure i would opt for a millbank bag (possibly cheapest way) or a purpose bought mini filter pump (may be over the top)

you can use grass moss sand and ash from the fire in a cut plastic bottle to the same effect but it won't cut out chemicals there is a thread on water purification for a lot more detail...

but a good rolling boil normally does the trick for me

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE