Question about steel thickness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Supertanker

Jan 22, 2013
Brighton
Evenin' all i have a question about steel thickness for knife blades as i plan on trying to make my own knife out of some ground flat steel somtime in the not too distant future. Sooo, other than strength what are the advantages of using thicker steels over thinner steel i.e. using 4mm thick 01 instead of 3mm 01? Hope i'm not being too daft but it's just one of those questions that has been nagging me. Thanks alot,

ST:)

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
Less flex in the blade when making powerful cuts. Of course, this may or may not be relevant or of concern to you, depending on intended usage and personal preference.

Also, Mr. Mears has been seen tapping small nails into wood with the spine of a knife. That's not something that I personally would do, but if you intended to, then it would obviously be easier with a thicker spine.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Most seem to go for 4mm, I prefer 3mm myself. It's down to what you like I guess. I don't need a 4mm knife although I have made myself one. I like it for being a chunky beast of a knife but it's overkill in my mind. If you're going to make your own knives best to get both at some stage and see for yourself first hand what you prefer.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Other than strength there is no difference. You sacrifice cutting ability (deep slicing) for that strength. But that strength isnt needed as a well tempered 3mm blade is more than strong enough. I'd rather have a blade that cuts better, over one that i can prise rocks boulders from the ground with :)

EDIT in regards to dave post below.... i'm talking about standard scandi ground bushys here. What Dave says about blade length and grind type is relevant.

Last edited:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
it alsp depends on the size of the knife, the purpose of the knife and geometry of the blade ;)

I make full flat ground/forged blades NOT scandi's and for a 4-5" general purpose/bushcrafty blade I'm working from 4-5mm thick at the spine. But because they taper down to 1mm or less at the edge, are much lighter and cut much more easily than a 3mm thick scandi. If I were to make a scandi (which I wouldn't), then 3mm would be fine in terms of strength and on 4" or less I wouldn't expect a great deal of flex (depending on how wide the blade is too). Mora's are about 2.5mm and they are popular enough ;)

Supertanker

Jan 22, 2013
Brighton
Thanks all, some sound and useful advice there. I think i will start with 3mm, i know you like to use it Mark. The knife will be a sort of hybrid hunting/bushcrafty type affair, the blade being no longer than 4". I've got a design i've drawn up. It's almost a cross between and S4 and something else! I'll let you know how it goes.;);)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE