Question about members classifieds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Hello.
Ive been a 'member' for some time. Dont post often, but [most of the time] enjoying reading the forums. Very intersting and infomative. To be honest though, i tend to have spells regarding the Members Classifieds.
I quote the term 'member' very loosely.
And, have to state, that it is a constant cause of irritation to me, that i keep missing out on bargains by minutes. Jeeez, you need quick fingers to bag a bargain on here!
Testament of course to the ever growing popularity of said site and subject, however, what may entice me, to pay the, rather fair fees, is the possibility of bagging a few deals
GRRRR GRRR GRRR is the normal, and understandable response to missing the sought after kit by minutes or seconds.
My question is this.
If i splash out and become a member, is there, [or is there a plan to] organise the site, in a similiar fashion to some auction websites, like Ebay for instance, whereupon i could type in a list of 'keywords' that, if and when they do become available for sale, in the Members Classifieds, I would be notified by email of my preffered OOD [object of desire] being sold?
Thanks

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Hello Ed.
Your 'quote' reads the same as a guy with a different name that used to post a lot of interesting stuff. Ive forgotten the fellows name. You didnt mention whether you though it would be a good or bad idea. But if you are the same chap,hope you dont mind someone that lurks around the edges, [Im sure there are a lot of us] that are always on the 'eye out' for a keen deal.

Personally i think its quite a good idea. :)

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Just a suggestion:

how about running an 'index' thread in swapshop and classified? Then folks could subscribe to one threadand get notified of everything that is put up as long as the seller/swapper puts it in the index.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Im not sure what 'index' means. But i guess a couple of us are on the same track ben. Im sure this must have been considered in the past. It must have been. Im actually wondering why its been rejected. Not that i know it has.
But, im sure the 'technical' people responsible for this website must have considered this?
Maybe its a 'technical issue' regarding the cost, which is most understandable?

Id be interested to know what you mean by an 'index' type search. Havent heard of that. Anayway, my reasons for posting are selfish, just so you know.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
dave said:
Your 'quote' reads the same as a guy with a different name that used to post a lot of interesting stuff. Ive forgotten the fellows name.
Nope, I dont think that was me as I added the quote to my sig only a couple of days ago ;)

You didnt mention whether you though it would be a good or bad idea.
Actually, from a users point of view I like the idea :) I myself have missed a few items that I wouldn't have minded purchasing..... but my own fault really as I dont normally read the classified forums, just now and then.

But from a coders point of view, I can see a few problems. Implementing a system like this and having it plugged into the site DB/userdb I think is going to be a right pain as there are many issues to deal with. The BCUK wiki is in the works and thats pretty simple compared to this, and the wiki has had enough of it owns problems while being connected up so to speak..... (but it does work ;)) .....

Also I think there is quite a big 'to do' list for the site and forum as a whole .... so there are already quite a few other projects in the pipline that need to be finished before a new system like you mention can be worked on.

But if you are the same chap,hope you dont mind someone that lurks around the edges, [Im sure there are a lot of us] that are always on the 'eye out' for a keen deal.
Lurk away mate ;) you are more than welcome to.

:D
Ed

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Have to say, whether its in the members classifieds, [which is main reason for the gentle complaint] or the general postings, [such as this one] there is a very high standard regarding the time of responses. Its almost enough for myself to disregard the issue, I myself raised. You charming devils, you. :D

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
It seems to me like it would certainly be advantageous to some.

However, I always considered the main purpose of this website to share knowledge and wisdom, something which is very difficult to find from a person as opposed to a book nowadays on the subject of Bushcraft. I think that giving BCUK a miniature auctionhouse would take focus off that.

People might join specifically to buy things, and therefore the sale would be less "personal"; sellers might feel less inclined to offer things at a good price, because they don't necessarily know that their item will be going to a "good home" as it were. I've seen numerous kind souls offering things up for shipping fees alone; it wouldn't be very pleasant if someone signed up specifically to take such an offer, so people might stop making them.

And it could also lead to arguments... people trying to outbid each other, people sniping bids, and it would still be a matter of who gets there first.

But maybe I'm being overdramatic, my mood is all over the place right now, I don't know what I'm feeling about anything, so sorry if I'm sounding too dismissive :eek:

And, as Ed says, there are coding problems.

It obviously does have it's pros though, as you've pointed out... just my 50th of a buck :)

EDIT: Now I reread this, I think I misunderstood your auctionhouse reference, so please do correct me if I'm wrong :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Hi.
Yes, sorry, maybe i should have made myself clearer, Did not mean any sort of auction website. Just a 'heads up' response for those of us who want to bag a deal. By entering a key word search. [As ebay do] Has been mentioned, that the 'coding' [dont pretend to know what this means] may be, at this stage too difficult to implement.
Have to say, I missed out on a deal earlier tonight, that i actually feel quite distressed about!

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I know Tony has plans to upgrade the forum software tot he latest version. When he does he can activate the RSS feed system.

If you subscribe to the RSS feed you will receive a message giving you the Heading of any new threads and the first few lines of the text long with a link to take you straight to it. You can set your RSS reader to collect these summaries at any time interval you wish.

This would sort of accomplish what you want.

However if you are after a financial incentive to pay a membership it should be noted that members do get some discounts at stores that are not available to the general membership. Also there have been some group buys that have only been run for paid members. And as to getting in first it was the paid members who got the first access to the Bushcraft mag and the chance to but the BCUK Smock.

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
Good point Bikething...it was a pure fluke that i logged on in the lunch break within minutes of the Norway course being advertised....after making a frantic call to SHMBLT to get the OK i immediatley reserved a place.

If i had not logged on that lunch time then i would not have got a place on the course. In the same way i have missed out on lots of goodies on classifieds and other sections of the site...right place right time

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Good idea, I get really frustrated sometimes when things have just gone and they’ve only been up for a few minutes :D Great for the buyer…if I think logically it’s great for me as well :D But I get the point being raised.

I’d not really given much thought to it to be honest, but it is worth looking into. The site is getting a good overhaul at the moment and that’s got to be finished first and then we’ll think about other things like this and how best to make things better in this area.

I’m not promising anything but it will get looked into.

Thanks guys

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Great that a suggestion has been well recieved.

:offtopic:
I have to say, the catalyst for the post was not getting an item, and the seller was kind enough to offer me another similiar, [highly sought after item] that i refused, after much deliberation, for one reason.
Because i would not have used it.
But we both knew, both the seller and i, that the item was actually worth a lot more money, [for instance on ebay, where these things go for ridiculous amounts of money], than, the very cheap price he offered it to me for.
I was hesitant. And in the end i refused.

Just shows, some of the people on here, are worthy of a persons respect.
[The item i was offered by the seller is now on ebay, and listed at twice as much as the seller, very kindly offered it to me for. Will probably go for three times that amount. At least. I dont think for a second he didnt know the value of said item. How many of us would have done that? How many sites show that kind of community spirit?]
i guess i would like to meet some of you guys in the future, if you have this kind of character, and im sure he wouldnt have been pleased if i bought it and put it on ebay the next day!

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
MagiKelly said:
I know Tony has plans to upgrade the forum software tot he latest version. When he does he can activate the RSS feed system.

If you subscribe to the RSS feed you will receive a message giving you the Heading of any new threads and the first few lines of the text long with a link to take you straight to it.

You say that as if it weren't already available, MagiK. Tony implemented it shortly after I asked about it at the end of March last year (BB still hasn't got it). The feed is http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/external.php?type=rss2 and it is one of several feeds that I check to see if something grabs my attention and warrants a full blown session in the forum.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
risby said:
You say that as if it weren't already available, MagiK. Tony implemented it shortly after I asked about it at the end of March last year (BB still hasn't got it). The feed is http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/external.php?type=rss2 and it is one of several feeds that I check to see if something grabs my attention and warrants a full blown session in the forum.

Oh cool. just seen this. Means i can get the rss feed sent to my phone :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE