Putting a patina on a carbon blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I bought an Opinel #7 in carbon for a buddy of mine yesterday as a cheap birthday present because I'm such a good friend. :lmao:

Anyway, I read somewhere once that in the old days, people used to shove a carbon blade into an apple and leave it overnight to put a bit of a patina onto it to help with rust resistance. I was thinking of doing this to his knife before I wrap it up and give it to him this weekend.

Can anyone elaborate on this for me? Would the starch in a potato work too? Or should I not even bother?

Thanks,

Adam

Aug 5, 2005
I personally did not like the patina I got using potatoes, here is the method I use.

I heat up 5% white vinager, usually by running it threw my coffee maker once a month to clean it, then if I have any carbon blades I need to patina, I have them ready and cleaned off good, then apply the hot vinager to the blade.

Here is a Frosts Clipper I did.

Frost-840-Red-Clipper.jpg

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Bear Claw Chris, that is some patina, by golly.

Almost looks as if "felt-tip-penned".

Mind you, if you need to muck out your coffee machine every 4 weeks, have you ever thought of using your coffee,? instead of vinegar, eh?

Ceeg

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've heard mustard used to get an interesting effect too.

Or you could bury it in a compost heap for a while :p

Don't forget to sharpen it after you patinate the blade though as the acid will eat away at the very thin edge.

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
i've found that if i start out with a shiny knife and it gets a patina from the uses that i subject it to i can look at it later with a sense of pride of all that i have done and all the places that the knife has been to with me.

just my .02
dean

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Bear Claw Chris Lappe said:
I heat up 5% white vinager, usually by running it threw my coffee maker once a month to clean it, then if I have any carbon blades I need to patina, I have them ready and cleaned off good, then apply the hot vinager to the blade.

Sorry if I'm being stupid - but 5% of what?

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I just white wine vinegar....in a glass....and then dunk the blade in a few times before air drying???

I'm confused, but as soon as this confusion is cleared up that's what I'm going to do to my buddy's Opinel.

Thanks for the awesome advice!

Adam

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Biddlesby said:
Sorry if I'm being stupid - but 5% of what?

The strength of vinegar is measured by the percent of acetic acid present in the product. Typical white distilled vinegar is at least 4% acidity and not more than 7%. acidity.

Aug 5, 2005
Seagull said:
Mind you, if you need to muck out your coffee machine every 4 weeks, have you ever thought of using your coffee,? instead of vinegar, eh?

Ceeg

:lmao: My automatic drip coffee maker has a bunch of little places were mold can start growing if you don't clean it regulary, so I run vinager through it once a month.

I did try to use my coffee to soak a Queen Carved Stag Bone pocketknife once, someone told me that would darken the bone handles, but it didn't work :cussing:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Bear Claw Chris Lappe said:
:lmao: My automatic drip coffee maker has a bunch of little places were mold can start growing if you don't clean it regulary, so I run vinager through it once a month.

I did try to use my coffee to soak a Queen Carved Stag Bone pocketknife once, someone told me that would darken the bone handles, but it didn't work :cussing:

For "antiquing" stag a dark brown, paint with saturated potassium permanganate solution. The purple solution oxidises the stag and leaves it a dark brown colour. Buff the high spots for contrast. The crystals are available from most chemists.

Take care, because the KMnO4 will oxidise all sorts of things, including your fingers.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
You could try the medieval method of patination which is to de grease it thoroughly by giving it a soak in urine for a few days then leave it in a damp place ie covered out in the garden. Watch it carefully every day and when the rust starts to fur up clean it with a rough cloth, scrap of canvas etc. repeat the damp place bit as often as you like to get the colour you need but dont let the rust get too furry or it will etch the steel and weaken it. When the steel is the way you want give it a good coating of wax, this will stabilise the oxidation and prevent it from continuing. This believe it or not will actually stop the metal rusting any further.

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
For a good natural patina there is no substitute for time and use imo, not that it takes very long.,

Gutting a dozen mackeral in the sea and not washing the knife till you get home will bring it on nicely though. :D

edschembri

Dec 1, 2011
Malta
Also, if you live in a region where Acacia Species grow (I highly doubt you will find them anywhere in the UK) the tannin in the bark gives stainless steel, and carbon steel blades a nice maroon patina. Acacia grow a lot in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern regions. the species with long alternate leaves is best, as it has the highest concentration of tannin. something to maybe keep in mind next time ur in the med.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Send it to me and ill guarantee a very random patina in just one woods trip :). Can even throw in a little rust free of charge ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE