Pulk sled or toboggan?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Ladies and gents, got a question for you.

I've been using a Paris-style pulk for years now but recently had the chance to try out a toboggan. It was a very smooth pull and I could see me switching to one of these

What's your experience?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
All depends on the terrain. Pulks perform on the hillier stuff and with smaller loads, The rails stop sideslip and they are much more manouverable.

Toboggans excel on the flat. Really steep stuff causes some issues but up to 30% gradient, reasonably straight up and down and they are very capable.

IME, the shock absorbers on the toboggan haul make a massive difference to the comfort. Dialling them in so they are just right gives a fantastic smooth pull.

For our winter trips, the toboggan takes first place as it'll haul stupid weights with ease. Also rolls up to put equipment inside for the flights and will fit into bags. I have a very thin toboggan made from 3mm sheet that comes in at 3kg, so isn't much of weight penalty for flying with.

Yeah I've been using the pulk here in the Alps. I even have little fins to prevent side slip on traverses.

But Toboggan so smooooth. And I remember using them when we lived in NE USA. Plenty o snow and cold there too.

The ability to roll them for transport. - Also a big PLUS.

:)

Sled/Toboggan = Stove = Hot Tent = Good

Especially for anything prolonged.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE