Puff Ball?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

UltimateSurvivor

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2010
Richmond North Yorkshire.
I caem across this today and i'm wondering if it's edible? It reminds me of a Puff Ball...

If so, i shall be cooking imediately...

Photo018-1.jpg

Underside,
Photo019.jpg

Flesh inside. Note all flesh is like this.
Photo020.jpg

It's quite small, just a little larger than an average fist.
Smells like a very strong tin of cream of mushroom soup if i'm honest.;)

Cheers guys.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Well, I'd welcome another opinion, but I'd personally say that was a young giant puffball in perfect condition, and thus perfectly edible. I'm only hesitating because the only specimens of giant puffball I've ever seen have been bigger and past the point of edibility (flesh dark and discoloured). If I'm right, I'd love to find one of these.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
As long as the inside is white it should be good to go. There's not much you can mistake them with from what I've read. Enjoy!

UltimateSurvivor

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2010
I took the inside of the puff ball out and fried it with onion and bacon. I then returned it to the outer shell of the puff ball and placed the lid back on. it's currently in the oven as i type this message. I will get pictures when it's finished.

I believe i got the idea from Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall. However i may be wrong...

Thanks guys. Very much appreciated.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Saw it on H F-W too. IIRC it absorbs the flavour of whatever it is cooked in. Beef stock = beef, Bacon fat = bacon, etc. Very nice but in this case it seems an obvious ID but with funghi, as I'm sure you guys know, any doubt leave it. I just wish the UK had the French attitudes to Funghi. Over there every qualified pharmacist had to be able to identify edible funghi. If you pick owt over there you are supposed to be aable too take them to a pharmacist to see if it is edible. I like the idea that it is true even if it isn't.

Let us know how it was.

UltimateSurvivor

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2010
Well Guys,

I've just finished eating and i must say i am completely stuffed!
This is the first mushroom i've tasted that has a natural sweetness to it. One of the most delicious things i've ever eaten...

The inside of the puff ball was taken out to create a natural bowl. From there the flesh from the inside was fried in Bacon fat(thanks for the tip bernie66, deffinately worked buddy!), with caramelized onions and back bacon. It was then returned to the Puff Ball-Bowl and the lid replaced. I then wrapped it in tin foil and oven baked for 15 minutes... WOW.

Photo022.jpg

Photo023.jpg

The outer shell, or the bowl as i call it, absorbed all of the bacon flavour. It simply melted in my mouth. The taste of mushroom was not overpowering. Infact subtle i would say. I can't compare it to any mushroom i've tasted before. I just hope it's not another 27 years before i find another!:)

Thanks for all the help chaps.

Aug 26, 2010
east anglia
hey i found some of those last year, but they ended up in a bag with poisonous ones so i wasnt brave enough to risk it, gourmet restaurants apparently pay quite a bit for these

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Lordyosch, those are nice pics, but as a general rule the brown puffballs tend not to be edible, and the white ones are good. Although as will all fungi, there are no simple rules that are 100% reliable. I'd have said your poics were a Scleroderma, or Earthball, which isn't edible, but other might dispute my identification.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE