Pruning cut method

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
:lurk:

..I have heard it's best to leave the cut messy, as this promotes (bare with me here..) the correct blank cells needed to start the regrowth and repair?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cut three is an angular cut so that it'll be a flat surface, yes? So two stop cuts - one on the bottom, one on the top, and then an angular cut for a clean face that will grow again?

The way I got taught was to make the third cut as close to the trunk as possible so the bark can heal over the cut.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
You wan't to reduce the surface area of cut wood that you leave, so as you say a flat cut for a clean face. The important bit is to cut it close the to the bark scar where the branch extends from the tree, without cutting through it. This area contains fungicidal and antibacterial and leaving this intact gives the tree its best chance for recovery.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
You wan't to reduce the surface area of cut wood that you leave, so as you say a flat cut for a clean face. The important bit is to cut it close the to the bark scar where the branch extends from the tree, without cutting through it. This area contains fungicidal and antibacterial and leaving this intact gives the tree its best chance for recovery.

+1 to that :).

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
both look basically the same to me? just depends on if you want the first cut to be above the or below the top cut. I find the picture with the cuts as letters works better for me.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Made a diagram of my own.

VPtIaBs.png

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yet the folks who mechanically shear hedges say that the messy cut actually promotes new growth rather than simply scab.

:dunno:
I leave as small and tidy as I can, try not to leave the cut face so that rain water pools on it and make real efforts not to rip back bark.

I don't think there's ever one cut will suit every branch. I do think that there's a lot of sense in being aware of what you're doing rather than only doing it by rote.

cheers,
M

p.s. THOaken, those two cuts are supposed to stop the underside bark tearing but not to leave a step like that.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
That looks correct thoaken, depending on the size of the branch two cuts may not be necessary though.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The way I got taught was to make the third cut as close to the trunk as possible so the bark can heal over the cut.

Now I was taught slightly differently.

You don't want to cut as close to the trunk as possible because that will remove the actual bark that would grow over wound.

If you look at a branch you'll see there's like a small ridge of bark at the base and you want to cut just slightly in front of that.

This is a better illustration of how to prune a branch

Proper-Tree-Pruning.jpg

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Now I was taught slightly differently.

You don't want to cut as close to the trunk as possible because that will remove the actual bark that would grow over wound.

If you look at a branch you'll see there's like a small ridge of bark at the base and you want to cut just slightly in front of that.

This is a better illustration of how to prune a branch

Proper-Tree-Pruning.jpg
The collar, you mean? Cut just ahead of the collar?
Edit: great picture.

I think that's enough info I need.
Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Finishing cut should be 2-3 mm ahead (outboard) of the branch bark ridge or collar. You should cut perpendicular to the branch you are removing to leave a flat smooth surface. Imagine the annular rings of the branch looking like a target. Infact, the process is called target pruning for just that reason.

So step cut first 5-6 inches away from finishing cut assuming branch is less than 5 inches or so diamter. Undercut, top cut further outboard. Carefully snap the step to remove bulk of branch.

Finishing cut as above making sure you hold on to the stub as you near completion of the cut to prevent it from falling and possibly tearing into the branch bark ridge.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Thanks everyone.

May I ask an off topic question? How long does greenwood stay green for? For as long as it retains moisture? I might harvest a piece of sycamore but would not be able to work on it today. Does greenwood retain moisture for several days?

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Thanks everyone.

May I ask an off topic question? How long does greenwood stay green for? For as long as it retains moisture? I might harvest a piece of sycamore but would not be able to work on it today. Does greenwood retain moisture for several days?

Don't split it, don't remove the bark, leave it somewhere cool and out of the sun (in the shed for example) and it'll be definitely be fine for a few days. There are ways of slowing down the seasoning process but they're not really needed at this time of year, certainly not if you're only talking a few days anyway.

HTH

Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE