Proofing cotton smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
This must have been asked before , but what do folk recommend to proof as best you can a cotton smock , I don't expect or need complete waterproof.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Grangers do some nice stuff as well - I am reviewing their 2in1 cleaner and proofer at the moment - with good results :)

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers for the reply, hope you get on well with it. Nikwax also do a cotton gear proofer with UV protection built in. Meant for tents and packs but can also be used on smocks and the likes.

Let us know how you get on once this nice weather finally breaks.

As Mr Fenna rightly said Grangers do some good products too, though personally I'd not use their 2in1 products as we found in tests that they weren't as effective as their single cleaners or proofers which were good. Did all those tests a couple of years back now so they may have improved the product since then.

ATB,
GB.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Looks like it may rain on Saturday at the Bushcraft show and wanted something with a hood and pockets just in case

Done it by hand and just drying in the sunshine now

Got a Kit carry smock from the Bushcraft Store a few weeks but not had much opportunity to try it in the rain since

Used the Nikwax cotton proof years ago on an old SAS smock I had for rough shooting and that was a great jacket , nice and light with plenty of freedom but windproof and fairy waterproof in most situations

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE