Production Woodlore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
P

PWork

I know I usually don't post much here (mainly lurk in the shadows), but this has been bugging me for some time.....

I know that WS is no longer making the production Woodlore, and the custom is way out of reach for most of us.

I recently modified a Frosts Lapplander 115 into a more "woodlorish" profile (would post a pic if I could figure out how :eek: ). Ray Mears has long promoted the Frosts Mora as a "training" knife. Am I the only one who thinks that a Mora made Woodlore would be a huge hit? Frosts/Mora of Sweden also has the capability of making them in carbon, stainless, and/or laminated steel.

Am I nuts for thinking this?

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi Paul
I had problems posting photos if you follow the link below its got all the advice I was given and I can now post photos

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20595:)

I know I usually don't post much here (mainly lurk in the shadows), but this has been bugging me for some time.....

I know that WS is no longer making the production Woodlore, and the custom is way out of reach for most of us.

I recently modified a Frosts Lapplander 115 into a more "woodlorish" profile (would post a pic if I could figure out how :eek: ). Ray Mears has long promoted the Frosts Mora as a "training" knife. Am I the only one who thinks that a Mora made Woodlore would be a huge hit? Frosts/Mora of Sweden also has the capability of making them in carbon, stainless, and/or laminated steel.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Personally... I don't see the point.

Mora makes great knives, but it's hardly an open market. There are dozens of high quality woodlore clones out there, with just about every option you could hope for.

I love the typical mora profile. Woodlore doesn't work for me... but, to each their own!

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Few pic's of Paul's knife project

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Nice one mate, it works really well with the length of the blade. I am moding a Laplander 95 at the moment, practising my file work, and after seeing yours, i considered going down that path. However, i'm not sure wether it would balance out as well as yours; that extra 2cm makes all the difference!:eek: (ooer Mrs!). Good job, it's nice to see that people are willing to modify, put the effort in and reap the rewards. You'll have to let us know how it is in the hand when you fit the scales. What scales are you fitting?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Great work Paul,
Its turned out to be a very neat package. The handle looks a little slim for me but if it didn't fit your hand, you'd have made it differently.
The simple sheath suits it down to the ground too.

Well done

Ogri the trog

Hardworms

May 23, 2007
Huddersfield
I think it's a great idea. I've recently ordered a couple of Moras (at £7.50 you can't go wrong) and plan on rehandling them. It has to be said that the Woodlore profile is jolly comfortable, and works well for the job we do. Having said that, I know some who hate it and find the plastic handles that come with knives to be far superior. Personally I hate those molded plastic handles, so as soon as the knives arrive, I'm hacking em off and going to town!

P

PWork

The scales are red oak.

Yes the handle may be a bit too slim for some, but that's the way I like them. The sheath is my copy of the Grohmann #1 sheath (another skinny handled favorite).

I'm also considering doing one of the smaller Lapplander blades.

laurens ch

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
south wales united kingdom

The same idea has wandered into my head a couple of times too. I think if frosts were to construct a woodlore clone out of there standard plastic materials and own steel it would be hit provided the price was right, kind of a budget woodlore I know I’d buy one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE