Primus Omnifuel HELP !! Desperately needed !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2015
Hereford
Good evening all , this is my first post and I'm enjoying reading everyone's posts !
Please can anyone help me !
I've just purchased a Primus Omnifuel stove and have set it up as instructions and as of YouTube videos . I'm using it with unleaded petrol .
I've connected the hose to the fuel bottle but it squirts out petrol . Yuk !
I have no trouble in priming the stove or getting it to burn .
Switching of the stove I turn over the bottle and let it die out , resting it for a few mins then when I unscrew the hose it sprays petrol everywhere . Surely this can't be right ? !
I'm very disappointed in this . Can anyone help me !

Kind regards

Biglew

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I don't have an omnifuel, but sounds like its just releasing what pressure is left in the pipe

On my dragonfly (similar multifuel stove) I turn the stove off, then turn the bottle off, and after its cooled down a bit I open the stove valve again to relieve the pressure in the pipe. Yeah you lose a bit of fuel but outdoors it evaporates in seconds

verney

Aug 6, 2014
Finland
Did you close valve on the bottle?

Correct way to turn off omnifuel is:
1) turn bottle around (off side upwards)
2) when fuel pipe is empty turn off valve on the bottle
3) let it cool down
4) close valve on the burner
5) remove fuel pipe from the bottle

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2015
Hereford
Firstly all , thank you for your input .
Ok I've established why I'm getting petrol squirting out when I set the stove up .
Let's establish I've finished with the stove and its packing up time .
I've turned the bottle up to the 'off' position and let the flame die out .
It's now when I disconnect the hose it pee's out of the black tightening nut .
What am I doing wrong !
Is it the pressure in the bottle that's causing this ?
Over to you .........
Kind regards Biglew

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Ok I've established why I'm getting petrol squirting out when I set the stove up .
What am I doing wrong !
Over to you .........
Kind regards Biglew

Omnivalve.jpg

This is a slightly older Omnifuel pump, but AFAIK they are still basically the same. In the hole indicated by the pencil there is a spring loaded ball which automatically closes the pump outlet when the hose is removed. The pin in the hose valve which opens the gas canister valves for gas operation also performs a similar job when attached to the pump; pushing this ball in and allowing fuel to flow. This ball valve affair not closing properly appears to be your problem.
When you operate the 'flip-stop' procedure the air in the bottle purges fuel from the hose and the burner goes out, but when you close the valve & pick the bottle up to remove the hose the warmth of your hand causes the bottle to pressurise enough so that as you unscrew the hose, fuel spurts out.
With a little fuel in the bottle and the hose off, try depressing the ball a few times with a piece of stiff wire or a small screwdriver. It may be enough for the fuel to wash out any debris that is causing the ball not to seat correctly.

You should be able to have the bottle pressurised with the hose disconnected, without fuel leaking out.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
What am I doing wrong !
Over to you .........
Kind regards Biglew

Have you tried closing the valve on the black plastic fuel pump.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE