Prepping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I like the idea that I can go into the woods and have a fair chance of surviving, I like to think of myself as being like the guy in the Great Escape who quietly slips away, keeps a very low profile and eventually rows out to sea (sorry I don't know the character or actor's name, anyone help?) does he find a ship to board in the end and get away? Rather than Steve McQueen who goes out all guns blazing or James Garner who tries to find an airplane with a blind bloke in tow but of course, there are people who would rather use the guns than just disappear and each to their own.

I remember seeing that film when I was ten and thinking that I would slip away just like the first guy...... I am going to have to google this aren't i? and maybe all the bushcraft stuff I do has been a follow on from that moment when I saw the film and decided I wanted to be self reliant and clever like that guy and so yes, I think I am preparing for something bad to happen, in fact I know I am, but I definitely do not dwell on the fact that the world may be going to end. Rather than look into the future I think I maybe looking into the past and trying to get nearer to how our ancestors lived, but at the end of the day whatever motivates us; looking forward with fear or looking back with nostalgia, it drives us into the present moment as we learn how to hone our skills at surviving. That is a good thing.

Sorry, I am not sure that this post is relevant to the discussion, but I just wanted to add my take on things and it is nice to be able to refer to the Great Escape in a post ;)

Last edited:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
There are not many real incidents when you only have minutes to leave the home, fire, gas leaks etc and if that type of thing happens then you just leg it (you will of course have 'backed up' all your needed documents etc away from home).

There are probably a few I can think of that may well be extreme or bonkers, but there's an everyday aspect to it as well.

Not so long ago it took 4 hours to pack the car for an overnight stay for 2 of us. I figured it should have been 30 mins tops with nothing ready and as low as 5 with a "grab bag".

I like the idea that you have multi-use for skills that make your skills "EDC" and everyday use.

I also like them to give you a lot of freedom, a grab bag gives you the ability to get a mad notion and go camping or on a trip on a whim/inspiration/whatever. That freedom is "living" to me.

The other everyday aspects of it are

the ability to prioritise and make good decisions quickly.
knowing what things in the house are important and what should be put on ebay/freegle.

Marco1981

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 18, 2011
Orkney
When I say that I am a worrier, I don't mean to the point that I can't function. I believe that most of us function probably better when we have to rather than we want to - it motivates us as it is part of our self preservation. I just want to learn skills that will help so that I will actually know what to do when the need arises.
Aside from all of that, even though nothing has happened yet, I have already saved a small fortune by providing things my family need by recycling rubbish to make things, growing my own veg and trying alternative ways to get energy (my home made wind generator's have proven nearly 1 whole volt in 40mph winds, so need a little work! lol). And I have had fun at the same time. My wife think's that I am barmy, but accepts that it is a valuable "hobby". She doesn't make any effort to follow my example and says that I will be able to look after her so she doesn't need to know. I tell her she can learn on the job when the time comes.

Last edited:

gixer

Dec 16, 2012
Midlands
As a typical bloke who wants to provide for and protect his family for every eventuality, I honestly can't understand why everybody isn't doing this. Surely it is more important to us to protect our loved ones than to just go on happily hoping that nothing is going to happen. People take out life insurance, house insurance, travel insurance, all sorts "just in case". But what good would that insurance be if the money became worthless, or government collapsed during a civil war? OK, some of you are probably thinking that none of those would ever happen. But what if?

Problem is that you can't prepare for everything live throws at you, there are just too many variables.

You grow your own crops to become self sufficient, what do you do if there is a bad crop or drought?
You stock up on supplies, what do you do if your supply room burns down?

There are levels here, some people do not care about tomorrow, others are obsessed by it, in-between there is a level that just makes good common sense.

Live in a tornado are, build a shelter
Live in a area that floods, move house
Live in a earthquake zone, have a bag ready to grab in case you need to get out and a plan of where everyone in the house will stand

I have a mate that was borderline obsessive about "prepping" he had hundreds of MRE's, weapons galore, he even started buying aquiarium meds as he found they lasted longer than the medical equivalent.

He must have had 5 figures worth of kit squirrelled away.
He then got very ill, lost his job, had to sell everything eventually having his house repossessed.

He'd spent hours and hours doing what he considered are "prepping" yet was massively overweight and unfit, which it turned out was his downfall.

So where do you draw the line?
As you can't prepare for every situation and every scenario

You might be able to forage well, but do you have savings to pay the bills if you lose your job?
You might have 10 years supply of MRE's but do you have smoke alarms and a evac route to get your family out in case of a fire?
You might have 60 shotguns, but do you have secure doors and windows and a bugler alarm in case someone breaks in?
House insurance in case of a fire, flood etc?
Savings to pay for a unforeseen car repair?
Medical insurance for a unforeseen illness?
Do you eat well and keep fit in prep to avoid heart disease?
Do you maintain a healthy weight to avoid the onset of diabetes?

The biggest risk to most of us is heart disease, yet it's known that by maintaining a healthy weight, eating healthily and exercising regularly we can go a big way into avoiding heart disease.
How many here do that though?

That to me is the most basic and realistic form of prepping, your analysing a risk and prepparing to avoid it, thereby surviving.

Marco1981

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 18, 2011
Orkney
Problem is that you can't prepare for everything live throws at you, there are just too many variables.

You grow your own crops to become self sufficient, what do you do if there is a bad crop or drought?
I live in Orkney, and very rarely have drought issues up here. But even with a drought, I am pretty certain that I can grow potatoes. They may suffer with scab, but they will be edible. Also, if we do get a drought up here, it rarely lasts long enough for me to get through my rainwater collection barrels.
You stock up on supplies, what do you do if your supply room burns down?
I don't stock up on anything really. I tend to make/grow as I need. But it is relatively easy to make sure my store room is fireproof - it is made of solid stone and has no source of ignition.

You might be able to forage well, but do you have savings to pay the bills if you lose your job?
My job is growing food for my family. My wifes job is to make money to pay bills. But no, not a penny in savings.
You might have 10 years supply of MRE's but do you have smoke alarms and a evac route to get your family out in case of a fire?
My MRE's are jacket potatoes, grown from my own garden and seed potatoes. And yes, we have smoke alarms and an evac route (nearest window). We also have plenty rechargeable batteries for the smoke alarms.
You might have 60 shotguns, but do you have secure doors and windows and a bugler alarm in case someone breaks in?
Yup, and means to reinforce them. The alarm is set up and will run from a 12 volt battery, which will bve charged by the wind turbine when I master it.
House insurance in case of a fire, flood etc?
Yes, but I see this as wasted money to be honest as fire risks in my house are almost zero, flood damage isn't likely at all as I live on a hill. But we can and do get wind damage, which would be cheaper to repair than the cost of the insurance!
Savings to pay for a unforeseen car repair?
My insurance against my car failing is my push bike.
Medical insurance for a unforeseen illness?
Bartering with the doctors and nurses I know will be my insurance when money is obsolete. But currently, I have the pish poor NHS.
Do you eat well and keep fit in prep to avoid heart disease?
Eat well, yes as a vegetarian. I am also active and pretty fit, but can't shake the spare tyre.
Do you maintain a healthy weight to avoid the onset of diabetes?
I am 14 stone and feel fitter than I have been for a long time. This is because I am thinking about long term survival without medical services to "fix" me. Prepping, or whatever people wish to call it, has been a massive motivator for me to get into shape as well as the other side of things.

At the end of the day, if the electric went off now, water stopped coming through my taps, my heating oil ran out, money became useless, government collapsed, I really wouldn't mind. I am on the brink of being prepared anyway, and nothing motivates better than finding yourself waste deep in trouble to get you to finish something. My main concern now is medicine should it be needed. But some things, you just have to accept that no ammount of preperation will cover. There are so many illnesses out there that no amount of stacking up pill boxes will cover - and how long do the pills stay viable anyway?
It may sound sad, but I actually want a collapse of society. I want money to become obsolete. I want government to disapear. I think the planet needs a massive human cull, but don't want my family to be some of those that perish. May sound selfish, but I think the planet needs a large portion of us humans to disapear in order for it to continue on the road to recovery. It would be no different to camping, only in a warm house, heated by peat which we have rights to and food growing right outside my door.

Last edited:

gixer

Dec 16, 2012
Midlands
At the end of the day, if the electric went off now, water stopped coming through my taps, my heating oil ran out, money became useless, government collapsed, I really wouldn't mind. I am on the brink of being prepared anyway, and nothing motivates better than finding yourself waste deep in trouble to get you to finish something. My main concern now is medicine should it be needed. But some things, you just have to accept that no ammount of preperation will cover. There are so many illnesses out there that no amount of stacking up pill boxes will cover - and how long do the pills stay viable anyway?
It may sound sad, but I actually want a collapse of society. I want money to become obsolete. I want government to disapear. I think the planet needs a massive human cull, but don't want my family to be some of those that perish. May sound selfish, but I think the planet needs a large portion of us humans to disapear in order for it to continue on the road to recovery. It would be no different to camping, only in a warm house, heated by peat which we have rights to and food growing right outside my door.

Extremely short sighted and arrogant view.

How do you get to hospital on a pushbike?
How are your potato seeds shipped to you?
How do you get your spares for your wind turbine?
What happens the years you get a bad crop, as it will absolutely certainly happen?

Look at everything your counting on and think is it sustainable.
Chances are very very few things are.

Your away from vast population centres which has both good and bad aspects, good that it's not overly populated where you are, bad in that your extremely isolated for medical emergencies and getting equipment, spares etc out to you.

The fact is right now there is not a total collapse in our society and there is no sign of it occurring in the foreseeable future.
Relying totally on self planted food is extremely risky as areas do fall foul of bad weather, disease and crop do fail.

Far better to save some money, and have enough money to get you through tough economical times.

Last edited:

gixer

Dec 16, 2012
Midlands
Yes, but I see this as wasted money to be honest as fire risks in my house are almost zero

Only 5 seconds searching and i found 2 fires on the island in the last year.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-19773680
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-22293481

All because it rains a lot it doesn't mean houses cannot catch fire, it's usually the inside dry bits that catch and burn ;)

flood damage isn't likely at all as I live on a hill. But we can and do get wind damage, which would be cheaper to repair than the cost of the insurance!

Have you ever had a house repaired?

Reason i ask is you obviously have no idea what you talking about, a simple roof repair can run into £1000's, add to that water damage, furniture damage, rehousing till it's fixed and it quickly gets extremely expensive, certainly far more than house insurance payments.

How about if there is another storm like in 53 and your house is destroyed?

You say you want to provide security for your family but to me it seems that only goes so far as growing stuff.

Get a job, earn some money get decent health and house insurance and get some savings behind you, that's real world prepping.

Marco1981

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 18, 2011
Orkney
Extremely short sighted and arrogant view.

How do you get to hospital on a pushbike?
Same way anybody else would, I would catch the bus, get a taxi or lift from a friend, I even may phone for an ambulance. But in the event that money is null and void, so would the NHS, so I would nip to my doctor-neighbur.
How are your potato seeds shipped to you?
Initially, they were bought online. That was 4 years ago though, and have saved my own seed potatoes since.
How do you get your spares for your wind turbine?
From my shed. I currently have enough spares to build 3 more, but have little need to actually build them, so save them for parts/upgrades.
What happens the years you get a bad crop, as it will absolutely certainly happen?
I would use the previous year's surplus grain while I tried again in my polytunnels and conservatory.

Look at everything your counting on and think is it sustainable.
Chances are very very few things are.

Your away from vast population centres which has both good and bad aspects, good that it's not overly populated where you are, bad in that your extremely isolated for medical emergencies and getting equipment, spares etc out to you.

The fact is right now there is not a total collapse in our society and there is no sign of it occurring in the foreseeable future.
Relying totally on self planted food is extremely risky as areas do fall foul of bad weather, disease and crop do fail.
I know. So I intend to grow more than I need so as to save some for such times as my crops fail. I also have a skill set which isn't all that common, so have a means to barter for food.
Far better to save some money, and have enough money to get you through tough economical times.
Over the years, I saved hard. I got into debt when things went sour. I lost jobs. I went self employed, but couldn't get enough work to sustain my family. But now, although money is tight, I am actually far better off. Money comes and goes, yet my family always need warmth and food. When working, I couldn't earn enough to feed them or keep the house warm, and didn't have the time to grow things or cut peat. Now I do.

Only 5 seconds searching and i found 2 fires on the island in the last year.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-19773680
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-22293481

All because it rains a lot it doesn't mean houses cannot catch fire, it's usually the inside dry bits that catch and burn ;)
Genious. Why didn't that occur to me? WAIT A MINUTE, WITHOUT A SOURCE OF IGNITION, HOW DOES A SOLID STONE BUILDING CATCH FIRE? If the contents inside it are stored properly, they will also struggle to self ignite. As for the house, the kitchen is fireproof. I could make a fire in the middle of the floor, and it would not spread, as I don't have anything combustable there. I didn't say it won't catch fire because it rains a lot, I said I had nothing to catch fire or even start one with. And yes, peoples houses do catch fire - even up here. But how many of them were either because of stupidity for leaving a fire to get out of control or deliberate acts of arson?
My living room has no carpet, but does have a sofa. The location o
f my fireplace and the fact that my stove has a door on it means that it is highly unlikely to spit and start a fire, and besides from that, the fire is never left unattended (nor is the cooker) as we have a 5 year old in the house. Fires can't start without a source of ignition, cant burn without adequate fuel, and rarely spread when there is somebody present with a fire blanket at the ready.

Have you ever had a house repaired?
Yup, cost me an absolute fortune. That was the labour costs though. The tiles themselves were pretty cheap, as were the nails. So I learmed to do it myself, as with most things I can now do - it saved us thousands.
Reason i ask is you obviously have no idea what you talking about, a simple roof repair can run into £1000's, add to that water damage, furniture damage, rehousing till it's fixed and it quickly gets extremely expensive, certainly far more than house insurance payments.
Water damage would not do a thing in my house. There is little soft furnishings anyway to get damaged, plasterboard can be removed and just go back to stone walls (it's quite fashionable BTW). The money I have payed on insurance policies far outweigh any claim I have ever made. That money would have been better spent doing something useful.

How about if there is another storm like in 53 and your house is destroyed?
I build another. Simples. It is only drystone walls, on a larger scale with some clay bunged in the cracks to stop draughts. I am however assuming that this storm doesn't smash all of the stones to smitherenes mind, it's a fair hike to the quarry, even further carrying each one back by hand. Oh, and my house is nearly 400 years old and seen many many storms and hurricanes - two last year in fact with 130mph winds. House stood firm, but lost a length of guttering.

You say you want to provide security for your family but to me it seems that only goes so far as growing stuff.
I have food sorted, water sorted, electric sorted (nearly anyway), heating sorted (just about), bartering sorted. What did I miss exactly?

Get a job, earn some money get decent health and house insurance and get some savings behind you, that's real world prepping.
Had one, it broke my bank account, got me into debt and I couldn't put food on the table. Halth insurance, I though NI contributions sorted that? Savings, been there, done that, yet all they were ever used for was to cover redundancies and make up for the fact that I couldn't earn enough to make ends meet. So in effect, I was working for naff all. I am not on benefits BTW, in case that's what you are thinking. I don't need to be. For the first time in my life, I feel like I am achieving something for myself and my family.

Edit, As for rehousing while ours is repaired, I have a second residential property on my land which is just as equiped as my own house is. I also have a fairly large shed or three, which could easily house a family. I have stayed at smaller and less equiped bothy's than even my hen shed is, yet came to no harm. If what you are after is comfort, then that is a completely different ball game to shear survival. In survival situations, one which you do what you have to do regardless of comfort, you just do it. You can easily live without running water, yet people are so accustomed to having it that they think it is a necessity. Same goes for electric, gas, petrol for transport and cutting lawns. We survived a millenia before any of these things became common place or even thought about. We must have, otherwise we wouldn't have been here today.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
When will the conspiracy theories drift into this thread :) I love them.

Did I mention in the past that a lot of prepper forums seem to attract the tin foil hat/walters/wannabe/paranoid types who all think they and their families can/will survive whilst all those around them fail/get the plague et al (not saying anyone here is, its just based on my past observations on other sites devoted to prepping)?

I'll get the popcorn and come back to this thread as its full of promise.

Mods, don't lock it as there's nowt on the telly tonight;)

Marco1981

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 18, 2011
Orkney
When will the conspiracy theories drift into this thread :) I love them.

Did I mention in the past that a lot of prepper forums seem to attract the tin foil hat/walters/wannabe/paranoid types who all think they and their families can/will survive whilst all those around them fail/get the plague et al (not saying anyone here is, its just based on my past observations on other sites devoted to prepping)?

I'll get the popcorn and come back to this thread as its full of promise.

Mods, don't lock it as there's nowt on the telly tonight;)

Folk can only do as much as they can do. Some may well be able to sustain themselves for quite some time. Some just think they can, and others know they can't but try anyway. The point is that they are at the very least making some effort with the best intentions. It's the folk who sit back and think that disaster can't strike which will be the first to perish though. I will be quite happy as long as I can keep my family alive long enough for society to rise from the ashes and help to come.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Folk can only do as much as they can do. Some may well be able to sustain themselves for quite some time. Some just think they can, and others know they can't but try anyway. The point is that they are at the very least making some effort with the best intentions. It's the folk who sit back and think that disaster can't strike which will be the first to perish though. I will be quite happy as long as I can keep my family alive long enough for society to rise from the ashes and help to come.

Are we talking about a realistic scenario (earthquake, flood, storms, etc.) If so then a few weeks worth of supplies and a good evac plan is probably enough.

Are we talking about a TEOTWAKI event? The you'd be looking at a century or two to survive until a new civilization arises out of the ashes. Do you really think you can keep your family alive that long?

All Rik (and others among us) is saying is to keep your expectations realistic.

Marco1981

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 18, 2011
Orkney
Thank you redneck.
Santaman, I don't know what to expect. Even if nothing happens, I am putting food on the table and have learnt a fair bit while enjoying myself in the process with no financial sacrifice - I am better of now than I was when working. I know for certain that we would be ok for 6 months to a year, health and medical problems excluded obviously. And I reckon that if every year has been the same as the last 3 years, I could go much longer. I would hope that in a complete collapse of the system, something would quickly take its place. As for going hundreds of years, not my problem. I then pass the reins over to the kids, along with some skills. Its up to them then.
I really don't see why people are so opinionated aginst prepping. I am not hurting anybody not a benefit scrounger just borderline self sufficient. Isn't that a good thing? If nothing happens no harm done. If something does happen then I will be ready and already partially adapted anyway. So what is the problem exactly? Could it be a touch of envy that they are stuck in the rat race and too afraid to take a leap of faith and try to follow their heart instead? Or is it purely financial meaning that because I am not earning and making money they don't like the prospect of empty bank accounts? Well the bank account thing doesn't bother me at all. I got used to that a very long time ago.

gixer

Dec 16, 2012
Midlands
If you can reconcile those I'll be impressed.

Tough to understand what point your trying to put across, are you saying it's better long term to live hand to mouth?

The biggest risk currently is to our health.
Regular exercise, living and eating healthy go a long way to help keep our health, plus if we do get ill it up's our chances of surviving and a quicker recovery.

Second biggest concern is money.
Not being able to provide for our families and pay the bills.

If you doubt that take a look at the various countries around Europe that are struggling, the suicide rates have shot up.

Live a healthy lifestyle, exercise regularly, live within your means and have a plan that will afford you some financial security and you've made massive steps towards providing security for you and your family.

Had one, it broke my bank account, got me into debt and I couldn't put food on the table. Halth insurance, I though NI contributions sorted that? Savings, been there, done that, yet all they were ever used for was to cover redundancies and make up for the fact that I couldn't earn enough to make ends meet. So in effect, I was working for naff all. I am not on benefits BTW, in case that's what you are thinking. I don't need to be. For the first time in my life, I feel like I am achieving something for myself and my family.

Edit, As for rehousing while ours is repaired, I have a second residential property on my land which is just as equiped as my own house is. I also have a fairly large shed or three, which could easily house a family. I have stayed at smaller and less equiped bothy's than even my hen shed is, yet came to no harm. If what you are after is comfort, then that is a completely different ball game to shear survival. In survival situations, one which you do what you have to do regardless of comfort, you just do it. You can easily live without running water, yet people are so accustomed to having it that they think it is a necessity. Same goes for electric, gas, petrol for transport and cutting lawns. We survived a millenia before any of these things became common place or even thought about. We must have, otherwise we wouldn't have been here today.

So you cannot afford to work then :lmao:

If your working for naff all then it might be prudent to get a better job ;)

Same way anybody else would, I would catch the bus, get a taxi or lift from a friend, I even may phone for an ambulance. But in the event that money is null and void, so would the NHS, so I would nip to my doctor-neighbur.

You specifically mentioned the collapse of society, do you honestly think buses will be running then :lmao:

You look forward to millions suffering and dyeing, but still expect the NHS, buses and ambulances to run around if you need them.

This a ridiculous proposition.
If millions have died then who will run the hospitals, produce the goods you consume, ship them to you, work the coal mines, maintain and drive the trains to the power stations, maintain and work these powre stations that then supply hospitals with power.
Who will manufacture the medication and hospital supplies.

I know. So I intend to grow more than I need so as to save some for such times as my crops fail. I also have a skill set which isn't all that common, so have a means to barter for food.

What about in winter?
What about if a lot of crops get ruined or stolen?
What if there is another 53 with your crops destroyed?

History has shown on thousands if not millions of occasions that societies that live in small geographical locations don't last long, as droughts, floods, harsh winters, disease etc etc etc all bring them down.

Over the years, I saved hard. I got into debt when things went sour. I lost jobs. I went self employed, but couldn't get enough work to sustain my family. But now, although money is tight, I am actually far better off. Money comes and goes, yet my family always need warmth and food. When working, I couldn't earn enough to feed them or keep the house warm, and didn't have the time to grow things or cut peat. Now I do.

Of course it's better, your wife is off working for a living while your sat watching potatoes grow, who wouldn't love a life like that.
If you couldn't earn enough to feed your family then you should, move or retrain in another career.

Genious. Why didn't that occur to me? WAIT A MINUTE, WITHOUT A SOURCE OF IGNITION, HOW DOES A SOLID STONE BUILDING CATCH FIRE? If the contents inside it are stored properly, they will also struggle to self ignite. As for the house, the kitchen is fireproof. I could make a fire in the middle of the floor, and it would not spread, as I don't have anything combustable there. I didn't say it won't catch fire because it rains a lot, I said I had nothing to catch fire or even start one with. And yes, peoples houses do catch fire - even up here. But how many of them were either because of stupidity for leaving a fire to get out of control or deliberate acts of arson?
My living room has no carpet, but does have a sofa. The location of my fireplace and the fact that my stove has a door on it means that it is highly unlikely to spit and start a fire, and besides from that, the fire is never left unattended (nor is the cooker) as we have a 5 year old in the house. Fires can't start without a source of ignition, cant burn without adequate fuel, and rarely spread when there is somebody present with a fire blanket at the ready.

Rubbish
Faulty wiring, rats eating perfectly good wiring, batteries failing, cigarettes burning, matches being trod on, laptop batteries failing, even lightening strikes all cause millions of fires each and every year.

I lost a mate only a few years ago when a plug in air freshener caught alight, he never knew anything.

When i was your age i probably had a short sighted view of the world as well, as it is though your scenarios are not realistic.

We're not talking end of the world scenarios here.
If your Mrs took ill and was unable to work, or even if she ran off with another bloke you'd be up the swanny without a paddle.
Unable to pay the bills and unable to live from week to week.

You think you've got every base covered, but in reality it would take very little in the way of changes before you'd be 100% reliant on society to bail you out.

That's ok, that's why we have such a system in place to help out people through difficult times.
You can't sit there and say
but I actually want a collapse of society. I want money to become obsolete. I want government to disapear. I think the planet needs a massive human cull

But then be in a position where if your Mrs fell ill or ran off you'd be 100% reliant on those you want to "cull"

As i say extremely short sighted not to mention immature.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you're doing well and enjoying your life then more power too you. I'm certainly not anti-prepping (I live in a hurricane zone)

Just saying beware of the fanatics that inevitably creep into these discussions.

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
I think the term "prepping" generally gets some bad press but in all honesty what's wrong with being prepared? It all depends what you're preparing for. If its a **** type scenario with zombies roaming the planet I think you'll be in for a long wait but if like me it's something more localised, it's money we'll spent.

Where I live in Gloucestershire over the past decade we've had a few bad winters where certain roads are impassable to anything but a 4x4, several floods and disruption to the electricity and water supply. So for me, having several months food, water and fuel stockpiled makes sense. Nothing extreme, just enough to keep me and my family going until things are back to normal. This also includes alternative ways to heat and light our home, wood burning stove, paraffin heaters & lights as well as various methods of outdoor cooking. Clay oven, charcoal & gas BBQ with surplus fuel. Stockpiled diesel, again nothing extreme...just enough to get by for a short while should there be a disruption.

Of course, getting the family involved in camping/bushcraft was great and we could live in temporary outdoor accommodation should the need arise.

As others have mentioned, you have life insurance, savings in the bank for a rainy day etc etc so why not have insurance for some of life's other unexpected disasters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.......Where I live in Gloucestershire over the past decade we've had a few bad winters where certain roads are impassable to anything but a 4x4, several floods and disruption to the electricity and water supply. So for me, having several months food, water and fuel stockpiled makes sense. Nothing extreme, just enough to keep me and my family going until things are back to normal. This also includes alternative ways to heat and light our home.....

I wish. For me the most likely disruption is due to hurricanes. "Heating" isn't a problem; it's usually 90f to 110f during the day and well into the 80s at night. My problem without electricity is I'm also without aircon or refrigeration (my meds need refrigeration)

Many here have back-up generators for appliances. The vast majority are small gasoline powered portables but the larger, natural gas powered or propane powered, whole house type (1500-2000 watt permanently mounted types) are becoming more and more popular.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE