Preparing (Cajun) Squirrel and other uses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
So my girlfriends dad shot a grey squirrel in his garden and I couldn't resist but asked if I could have it... I have a BBQ on saturday and one of my girlfriends friends only said the other day how they would like to try squirrel. And so would I! So last night I gave it my best as skinning and gutting him and I don't think I did a half bad job had a little guidance but I know how to do it myself now. Any further tips on the butchering of a squirrel? Whats the best way to do it to keep the coat intact. The fastest/most effortless way to do it when you are in the field and thinking of your stomach more than all the other uses for the squirrel.

Anyway, what I found a shame was chucking away that coat of his when I could have probably put it to so much more use! Any ideas for next time?

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Turn the squirrel on its back and use a sharp knife to cut through the tail bone at he base making sure to leave the skin on the last side of the cut intact(if that makes sence). Then put one foot on the tail(which has the bone cut) and hold fluffys legs with both hands and pull hard. The whole coat will come off in one go. then just remove the guts.

Thats the fastest way I know

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The main use for the coat this side of the Atlantic is primarily for the fur itself (particularly the tail fur) It's highly valued by fishermen who tie their own flies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE