Preparedness, do any practise it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Strike Team

Aug 6, 2004
Scotland
To my mind the top "preparedness" priorities are:

Looking after your health
Reducing and eliminating debt
Saving
Having a reliable "support network" of family and friends around you
Taking a positive Improvise-Adapt-Overcome attitude to life's problems
Putting aside basic necessities such as water, tinned/dried food and toilet rolls.

I agree that Cody Lundin's "When all Hell Breaks Loose" is a great resource.

snow1-feb-09-04.jpg

Being prepared comes in many forms like having some food and water stored in a closet or large pantry or basement to having a survival retreat away from the city!
but can be more than just food and water involved silver or gold coins guns for protection gardens and raising animals doing all or one is all it takes to help you get through ether a disaster or economic collapse or even war and being a preppier is hoping that you never have to use it but its their just in case to me its no different than having insurance on your car or house hope you never need it but sure nice to have around when you do!
http://www.survivalbill.ca/phpBB3/retreat-a.php

Bushcraft skills will be a very handy thing to have the BuscraftUK site here is just the best site on the net for info on the subject...

Strike Team

Aug 6, 2004
Scotland
FerFAL is an Argentine who blogs about the daily realities of living in a collapsed economy. One of the most important points he makes is that the best survival strategy is to be able to get well outside of the disaster zone, rather than trying to survive in it. FerFAL's father was able to afford to do just that, as he had substantial amounts of money held overseas and unaffected by the Argentine economic crash. Family friends of mine in New Orleans did the same thing - they packed up and left before Hurricane Katrina, and rented a house in Arkansas for several months until things returned to normal back home.

I believe that sanitation will be a much greater threat than violence or starvation in the event of a disaster. Refugee camps often turn into disease-ridden hellholes due to poor sanitation. If I found myself without essential services, I would dig a latrine in the back garden and burn or bury my rubbish, and try to persuade my neighbours to follow suit.

reddeath

Forager
Jul 29, 2007
Kilkenny, ROI
razor wire ( did i say that out loud)

seriously tho im looking to move house in a month or so and intend to prepare the next place

gonna keep an eye on this thread its full of great ideas and thought processes

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I've been reading Ragnars Urban Survival guide ebook and it has got me thinking very logically and seriously about what preperations and purchases need to be made for an urban emergency. It's a very informative and comprehensive book, but I'd still like to read Lofty Wisemans urban survival guide, too.
Does anyone have it on your computer?
PM me if you guys want Ragnars book!! The internet is all about sharing....

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
There's really little point in me doing anything to fortify my home or trying to stay in it if there should be a natural disaster, EMP, other Nation/worldwide emergencies or zombie attack. I live in a fairly dodgy Council estate, I'm pretty sure the druggies, boozers and leeches will have burned it to the ground within a week of any major incident. Therefore, my best bet for practicing preparedness is to always have my gear ready for me to set out - and it is!

I'd like to formulate a plan for getting my girlfriends family here (her included of course, if she's not with me at the time) so that we can head out together - none of them are into bushcraft or survival skills, so I'd have to show them what I can (I'd probably be in my element, I love teaching :p ). I could probably head northwest into the fields behind my house, and if I was careful (any remembered my orienteering) I could avoid heavily populated areas for quite a ways... Of course, there'd be little to live off other than sheep, but I've always wanted to try mutton :D I should really get some plant, tree, bird and fish ident. books to keep handy.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I've been reading Ragnars Urban Survival guide ebook and it has got me thinking very logically and seriously about what preperations and purchases need to be made for an urban emergency. It's a very informative and comprehensive book, but I'd still like to read Lofty Wisemans urban survival guide, too.
Does anyone have it on your computer?
PM me if you guys want Ragnars book!! The internet is all about sharing....
Boring as it seems, but Ragnar Benson and Lofty Wisemans Books are all still covered by Copyright, and therefore it would be highly questionable to offer to share electronically, what are essentially illegal copies.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Good point Tadpole. There are various government books and files which are available for download - if you look online you can find good, relevant, legal information.

Strike Team

Aug 6, 2004
Scotland
I'd like to formulate a plan for getting my girlfriends family here (her included of course, if she's not with me at the time) so that we can head out together - none of them are into bushcraft or survival skills, so I'd have to show them what I can (I'd probably be in my element, I love teaching :p ). I could probably head northwest into the fields behind my house, and if I was careful (any remembered my orienteering) I could avoid heavily populated areas for quite a ways... Of course, there'd be little to live off other than sheep, but I've always wanted to try mutton :D I should really get some plant, tree, bird and fish ident. books to keep handy.

I reckon you'd be far better off bugging out to the home of a relative/friend with whom you've made arrangements with in advance, rather than trying to live off the land with people who have no prior bushcraft experience. That to my mind is a last resort, almost as desperate as being in a refugee camp. I'd much rather tuck into the tinned beans and dried split peas than risk relying on meagre plant resources. I'm much less experienced at this bushcraft thing than many people here, but looking at the limited amount of food I have got out of hunting/foraging versus the time and energy input, I understand why most societies have moved from hunting/gathering to farming. IMO it would also be good to have some supplies at home. You want to have a range of options available to suit the situation.

I think a lot of people have a very unrealistic view of disaster survival. To my mind the starting point is to ask ourselves how we would cope with a REAL disaster, such as Hurricane Katrina, a WW2 Home front situation, prolonged illness/unemployment, homelessness or a Great Depression style economic crisis.

A few interesting resources:

The Joys(?) of Being Homeless

Sarajevo Survival Guide

Justpeace urban survival

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I reckon you'd be far better off bugging out to the home of a relative/friend with whom you've made arrangements with in advance, rather than trying to live off the land with people who have no prior bushcraft experience. That to my mind is a last resort, almost as desperate as being in a refugee camp. I'd much rather tuck into the tinned beans and dried split peas than risk relying on meagre plant resources. I'm much less experienced at this bushcraft thing than many people here, but looking at the limited amount of food I have got out of hunting/foraging versus the time and energy input, I understand why most societies have moved from hunting/gathering to farming. IMO it would also be good to have some supplies at home. You want to have a range of options available to suit the situation.
Oh I agree, living off the land is truly about last resort - the problem is, though, that my nearest friend/relative who isn't in the exact same situation (urban area where there would be too much in the way of looters and freebooters to have a good long-term prospect) is my sister up on Skye! Which is exactly where I'd head (hence the northwesternly direction - otherwise I'd head to woodland in the south). The advantage I see to heading up there, is firstly that the locals are more knowledgeable in getting along without modern comforts, and in my experience are much friendlier - especially since I know a good deal of them :D Another advantage is that there's agriculture already - society wouldn't need to start from scratch and work up. There's plenty of forestry up there too, so if you plan a journey ahead of time, ready to set out when necessary, it'd be easy to always have fresh fire supplies - one reason why I'm going to buy several Ferro rods and Moras and keep them tucked away!

While I understand that hunter-gatherer stuff is difficult, particularly when you're with the inexperienced, the journey wouldn't be too difficult to do in two weeks or less - and since sheep farming is already established and widespread in the north, there's plenty to eat along the way. A ewe can be remarkably docile, and rams - well, I'd go for the ewe, but I'd definitely bring along my bow so either would be attainable in a pinch. A diet consisting of mostly meat is far from ideal, but in a short term situation, you'd live - and that's really the point. I'm actually planning on looking into how to tan a sheepskin, as simple as possible while maintaining usefulness, which could make a significant difference in the winter. Ideally, I obviously wouldn't want to go killing someone's farmed sheep, but if it's me or the sheep, I'll choose living!

Honestly, in this sort of place, the best preparedness you can practice is the ability to leave as soon as humanly possible.

Atb
Pete

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
While I understand that hunter-gatherer stuff is difficult, particularly when you're with the inexperienced, the journey wouldn't be too difficult to do in two weeks or less - and since sheep farming is already established and widespread in the north, there's plenty to eat along the way. A ewe can be remarkably docile, and rams - well, I'd go for the ewe, but I'd definitely bring along my bow so either would be attainable in a pinch. A diet consisting of mostly meat is far from ideal, but in a short term situation, you'd live - and that's really the point. I'm actually planning on looking into how to tan a sheepskin, as simple as possible while maintaining usefulness, which could make a significant difference in the winter. Ideally, I obviously wouldn't want to go killing someone's farmed sheep, but if it's me or the sheep, I'll choose living!
Sure, but how long before they're all rotting carcasses with most of the meat wasted (don't fancy that offal...)? Most scavengers wouldn't exactly be practicing sustainable herd management!

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Sure, but how long before they're all rotting carcasses with most of the meat wasted (don't fancy that offal...)? Most scavengers wouldn't exactly be practicing sustainable herd management!

From the sheep killed on the journey? I'm not sure, I wonder how sheep meat would jerky... Still, the fact that most people would just take what they need for the short term and leave the rest is exactly why it would be best heading somewhere where people are already farming animals - it doesn't have to be started, it was started centuries ago, and there's less risk of the animals all being killed for meat before they breed. You can get more than just meat from sheep though, and the guts have their uses too. People would have to get used to living solely off local produce, but it's a much smaller shock than living off canned food until it all runs out and then trying to look to farming.

I also doubt it'd be a case of killing an animal, taking enough for a single meal and then dumping the rest. Meat doesn't go off if not cooked immediately... and Scottish weather provides ample refridgeration for a wee while at least!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im starting to realise that a good example of preparedness is to make sure you have a Will...

...After all, we all die some day, and not all of us will take it with them.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Lamb and Mutton are both high in fat. Jerkying it would not do much good. It would only last a couple of days.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Shame it's fatty, I expected it to be a bit leaner, since most of what I hear about mutton is how tough it is! Cheers though mate!

Strike Team

Aug 6, 2004
Scotland
Was on the phone to a friend in the Highlands this morning. They have deep snow, but electricity, phone and internet are now back on. She's cooking using Calor gas, luckily she had a new gas bottle recently. Trouble is her farm water supply is frozen solid. I told her to go out and gather clean snow, then melt a little at a time in a pan.

A supply of bottled water would have saved her a lot of trouble.

:)

Honestly, in this sort of place, the best preparedness you can practice is the ability to leave as soon as humanly possible.

Atb
Pete

The closest town to us of 25,000 lost 2,000 jobs in the last couple of weeks.
Every year we see more men with guns tramping through the bush looking for something to put in thier freezer. Blazing away. Bullets flying all around us. 3 times in the last 2 seasons I've had to head out into the bush with my dogs to track them down and ask them to stop.
I do feel for city dwellers. I lived in cities for 35 years. Cramped space, morgages to keep up, children to feed.... so really no offence.

Who's sheep? Sheep don't grow wild. Killing a ewe?
If it comes down to that scenario it wouldn't be just one person taking a mama sheep.

We live off the land.
I sure wouldn't like someone taking our animals especially females. We work hard to live here so that we can breath fresh air, drink clean water, and eat well all by our own hands.
The food that your taking from us is how we survive. I would defend it. :)

We were very lucky to have the choice to live like we do but it was not without sacrifice.
If you asked we would feed anyone in need lots of good food and give them food for thier journey to boot..

Cheers,
Scott
http://aki-and-scott-fireweed.blogspot.com/
http://www.caribooblades.com/newknives.html

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
:)

Every year we see more men with guns tramping through the bush looking for something to put in thier freezer. Blazing away. Bullets flying all around us. 3 times in the last 2 seasons I've had to head out into the bush with my dogs to track them down and ask them to stop.
I do feel for city dwellers. I lived in cities for 35 years. Cramped space, morgages to keep up, children to feed.... so really no offence.

Who's sheep? Sheep don't grow wild. Killing a ewe?
If it comes down to that scenario it wouldn't be just one person taking a mama sheep.

We live off the land.
I sure wouldn't like someone taking our animals especially females. We work hard to live here so that we can breath fresh air, drink clean water, and eat well all by our own hands.
The food that your taking from us is how we survive. I would defend it. :)

We were very lucky to have the choice to live like we do but it was not without sacrifice.
If you asked we would feed anyone in need lots of good food and give them food for thier journey to boot..

Cheers,
Scott
http://aki-and-scott-fireweed.blogspot.com/
http://www.caribooblades.com/newknives.html

I'm humbled, I admit, by your words and your sincerity. It would, of course, be totally out of line except in the utmost need. I would never steal if I had another option. But would I? Sheep, in Scottish countryside (particularly in the highlands, but to an extend down here too) roam far and wide - they're identified by colouring the fleece. In the kind of global (or even national) disaster I'm really considering, I would have a hell of a time trying to find anyone to ask... I definitely see what you're saying, and I certainly wouldn't kill farmed animals (unless they were mine, of course) if I had another option - certainly, not without something going very seriously wrong with the country. Thinking further on it, if I lived somewhere in which it would be more possible than the UK, I'd rather do the "nomadic" lifestyle than try to settle in that situation - always moving, less chance of being found by unfriendlies and I'd make a smaller impact on the local wildlife. Dunno if I could hack it of course, I'm rubbish at foraging!

Cheers for your comments though, well taken and appreciated
Pete

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I haven't exactly read everything stated above, due to being a lazy ******* ;) I just want to give my 2 cents on the original topic question, as first posted. I have thought about these questions a lot and I've read and heard a lot of replies of people on these questions.

Firstly, I do practice preparedness for any infrastructural inconvenience that lasts for a short period of time. let's say, a week. I'm talking about things as power failure, sudden stop of water supply, no gas, etc. For these situations I have a few candles, a wind up radio, a wind up flashlight, about 25 liters of water, a bunch of cans of food, first aid kit, etc, etc; the things you would normally think about when trying to prepare for such an event.

Now, all of these things are focussed on a short term event that is merely an inconvenience for a lot of people or maybe an exciting event for some. If we start talking about long term problems: natural disasters, logistic failure regarding food supply to stores (did you know there is only 5 days worth of food in your supermarket), war, chemical disasters , etc, then the game suddenly changes completely. Because then you'll have two problems: Short term: where do I get my food and water from this week?

But Long termproblems arise too: where do I get my food and water from this week and the next? And also: how are my parents, girlfriend, boyfriend, cats, dogs, grandma's, friends, etc doing? Is there still law enforcement? Or are we now in a state of lawlessness, and if so: how do I protect myself against looting? In case of evacuation: where do I go, what do I take, is it safe there? Are there friendlies?
All these last questions are the one's that, in my opinion, are the most important ones to think about. Every single person can get food in a large town; if they are the only one in that town. Now if every single person in that town wants food and there is no supply then say welcome to scarcity. scarcity leads to an explosive situation and lawlessness. And that's what I dread the most.

If you ask most people the: "what would you do?" question. Most would say: I'd go to the forest huntin', hell yeah, I'd live off the land, I'd move to the countryside, and more of these tough one-liners. If everyody would do this then the countryside would be empty in one week and then you're back to square one. To quote Caribou:

Originally Posted by cariboo View Post

I do feel for city dwellers. I lived in cities for 35 years. Cramped space, morgages to keep up, children to feed.... so really no offence

I think the best thing to prepare for such an event is to talk about it on forums like these. To think about what would you do and be critical about what solutions you come up with. You can draw up a plan what you would do, where you would go, who you would call and what you would take.
For everybody who likes to think about what STUFF to have in the house I'd say for short term: the candles, radio, etc. For long term? Invest in food, but also in cigarettes (if you don't smoke) and booze, because these are the only methods of paying if all ATM's are out and YES they will triple in value. Furthermore a map of your country would be helpfull. A crowbar for getting in and out of buildings in an emergency, something to signal with to rescue teams or other people, Last, but certainly not least: a picture of a loved one. and furthermore: everything you think will come in handy.

my 2 cents.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE