Powerfull inflatable Boats and engines???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
But RIBs are expensive, and less easy to land. A Dory you can just pull up the beach, but a RIB you want a beach anchor or a full on trailer. Dories are excellent with small chop, which is all you get on lakes unless there is a full gale on.
George didn't suggest the dory would plane with 33hp - who needs it to anyway, if it's just for transport? I appreciate it would use less fuel, but high speeds aren't ideal for load carrying, not to mention the fact that the boat is less stable planing. RIBs also lose more stability than Dories when planing too. ;)

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
Boats ho hum lots of money wasted here everyyearbylots of people.

IIMHO what you have to do is set things down on paper so you get yourself a specification as to what you want your boat to do for you and how. If you do this you will be able to select the right craft for your needs and will not beaffected by other peoples favoiurites loves hates. I could recommend a set up for 6 poeple ranging from Approx £4000 to £150,000 :rolleyes:

Here are some questions which I would ask in no particular order..

1. Do I really need to own a boat or would it be just as profitable to hire one? Will I use it enough to justify the cost (time and money) of purchase and maintainace.

2. Where do I want to use the boat ,Lakes and rivers, the Sea (inshore or away from the coast) Or all three.

3. How will I transport the craft? do I have a vechicle capable of towing a trailer or do I need to transport it in or on top off my vechicle?

4. How will I store the craft . do I have space for a trailer will weather conditions allow it to be stored out side all year around. Is my only storage space a Garage,lock upshed?

5. Do I have the necersary skills (and time) to service and maintain the craft and engine. Or must I pay AN other to do this for me and how much will it cost?

6. How willI I want to launch the craft . Are there slip ways , vechicle acsess or will I need to carry it into location?

7. What to I want to carry in the craft? People, Expedition equipment, Carcasses etc ? one all or some ?

8. Will I be using the craft in a remote location? If so will I be able to fix it easily in the field.

9. How fast do I want to go?

There are more questions but thats some of the more obvoius

Once you have done this you have to sit down honestly and decided how much money you have to spend on the craft engine and all the extras that you need (radio , life jackets safety gear atc etc ) espesially if you are going to take paying customers.
THEN ONLY THEN CAN YOU START LOOKING AT ACTUAL CRAFT :eek:

Well thats enough for now but hope it helps a bit

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
swamp donkey said:
1. Do I really need to own a boat or would it be just as profitable to hire one? Will I use it enough to justify the cost (time and money) of purchase and maintainace.

Yes, I need a boat there is none to hire but if I would bring one in from the next town they would charge to much for the daily use. I will use it every day in the summer having to drive about 16km. In winter I take a snow mobile. There is no real option of a road to drive by car.

swamp donkey said:
2. Where do I want to use the boat ,Lakes and rivers, the Sea (inshore or away from the coast) Or all three.
That lake on the picture, maybe a River but no Sea

swamp donkey said:
3. How will I transport the craft? do I have a vechicle capable of towing a trailer or do I need to transport it in or on top off my vechicle?

I will pull it with a car and a trailer near to the lake shore

swamp donkey said:
4. How will I store the craft . do I have space for a trailer will weather conditions allow it to be stored out side all year around. Is my only storage space a Garage,lock upshed?
I dont have any means to store it, it will be all year around outside if its not inflatable
]

swamp donkey said:
5. Do I have the necersary skills (and time) to service and maintain the craft and engine. Or must I pay AN other to do this for me and how much will it cost?
I dont, I have to learn it. Therefore it would be good to have an engine easy enough to learn to service.

swamp donkey said:
6. How willI I want to launch the craft . Are there slip ways , vechicle acsess or will I need to carry it into location?
I am always alone doing my stuff therefore it has to be possible for me to do the job alone.
swamp donkey said:
7. What to I want to carry in the craft? People, Expedition equipment, Carcasses etc ? one all or some ?
People, max 6 and me. Material Expedition equipment, food, building material, etc etc stuff what one needs to run a wilderness camp in a remote place.
swamp donkey said:
8. Will I be using the craft in a remote location? If so will I be able to fix it easily in the field.
yes, nearest town is 30 km away.

swamp donkey said:
9. How fast do I want to go?
I know one can travel slowly if you dont do it often, if you travel every day 16 km to your working place and more you dont want to be to slow. If I am traveling with 5 to 6 people I dont want to give them the feeling they better get the paddle out doing the job themselves. The engine should be powerfull enough for a comfortable speed even with 6 people. But doesnt have to be a racer. :rolleyes:

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Abbe, do you know of any restrictions on engine size on inland waterways in SE?

I found a couple of ex-military boats in Sweden.

TugBoat1-low.jpg

ALE-Bogserbåt 1

It's a tugboat but looks quite spacious. 5.5m long, built in 4 cylinder petrol motor.

LxBxH: 550x220x130
Plastbelagt skrov.
4-cylinders Willysmotor, bensin.

I like this one too:)

TugBoat2-low.jpg

ALE - Bogserbåt 2

Bogserbåt 2.
LxBxH: 703x240x200
Plåtskrov.
6-cylinders Deutzsmotor, diesel.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
mojofilter said:
I dont think a boat of these dimensions would get on the plane with 33hp.

Probably not.

I've got a forty on one a little smaller than that and it just gets over the hump with two of us in it and the trim well sorted.

However the figures I gave weren't talking about getting it to plane - just pushing a load along.

George

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I can see nothing wrong with 30 hp to power your rib/dory apart from the fact that you only have one engine.... so why not fit two 30 hp which when combined will give speed, and when on one economy. also when one brakes down at least you have a spare to get you ashore. I would not want to paddle a fully loaded vessel more than half a mile! you may even get on the plane with two 20 hp and find the fuel economy amazing! although 2x 150 is the only way forward :D

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i think ribs would be a good idea except for running them up the beach.. it really doesnt do them a lot of good.. i would say a dory is probably a decent option but you might want to look as some of the aliminum (dono how you spell that)boats on the market.. around 16 foot dont bother with windscreens or consols or steering wheels just a 20hp outboard with stick!

something a bit like this!

newboats01.gif

EDIT: jus seen george has the idea!

Hi,
as mentioned you have to consider a number of questions!
With this in mind though I would personally stick with a RHIB (I've had years of professional experience in the North Sea with RHIBs).
They are stronger, more stable & thus safer than most other craft, that's why they are used for rescue work in the biggest of seas, & they were used in a recent Camel Trophy!
Avon & Halmatic are the industry standard but companies like Delta, Ribcraft & Humber all make perfectly serviceable craft, check out local suppliers or the web.
As for engines, choose your RHIB first, then look at the makers reccomendation & talk to your supplier. When you've decided on horsepower go with a four stroke (more economical, quieter & kinder to the environment), Honda are superb.
Remember to outfit your vessel properly as well as it may also be being used as a rescue craft in an emergency, this unfortunately will cost money whatever you buy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE