Pot Noodle In Peril

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Unilever the people who make Pot Noodle's and Marmite are having a disagreement with Tesco over pricing as a result of the Brexit malarkey and some items are disappearing from the supermarket shelves.
Now Marmite I couldn't care less about bloody awful stuff lol , but pot noodles are a regular in my food bag.
Beginning to think it's time I invested in a dehydrator.

More at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37637954

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It's not just Tesco, they're the only supermarket to have taken any action. Most supermarkets carry Unilever products. Tescos point of view is they shouldn't be paying more for things produced in the UK, so have called their bluff. Tesco CEO Dave Lewis used to work for Unilever so he may be in a good position to know their strategies.

Be interesting to see if the other supermarkets follow suit, or put the squeeze on Tesco.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
On a low salt kick a while back (and having tholed the nagging by Son1 about the evils of lo-salt) I bought vegemite.
It's okay as 'stock' but it's not marmite :sigh: it's awful on my oatcakes :yuck:

M

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
replace pot noodle with mugshots
aldi have their own version cupshots for 33p

they also have ones that come in a pot for 33p as well

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Forget the dried worms in sauce and that disgusting black goo people call food, think of the ben and jerrys ice cream! :eek:

Tonyuk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't know how anybody can eat that stuff; it's so sickly sweet…..and then they add more stuff in on it too.
Marmite though :D s'good food :cool:

M

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I dont like it, too salty.

I am rather fond of sainsburys reduced salt yeast extract.

(when I am jaded on Bovril, which I live upon.)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Watch Unilever crash in coming months, a possible "Ratner moment". Don't care for any of the extract sticky things, my main thought about them is "Why".

Incidentally have rediscovered oatcakes but these don't have the additives of my earlier trials. Very good with cheese. May well use them as trail food.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Watch Unilever crash in coming months, a possible "Ratner moment". Don't care for any of the extract sticky things, my main thought about them is "Why".

Incidentally have rediscovered oatcakes but these don't have the additives of my earlier trials. Very good with cheese. May well use them as trail food.

I suspect it'll have more of an impact on Tesco than Unilever.

If Tesco don't stock Unilever products, people will go to hops that do stock them rather than buy a different product at Tesco. Once they have tried a different shop, they may not return. The cost to Tesco of losing a regular shopper is massive long term.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Bovril's from beef, Marmite's from yeast.
One's definitely not vegetarian friendly while the other is :)

M

Sort of. Yeast are in the fungus kingdom, so while they're not animals (meat) technically they really aren't plants (vegetable) either.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE