PostGrad Personal Statment Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I was wondering if anyone out there had experience with personal statements, especially for a MSc degree?

I have a first draft but it does need a bit of work on it, so I was hoping someone could have a read over it and suggest what I can change or whether I am on the right tracks with it.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Is it for a Geological/Geotechnical position? If so, you'll need to shoehorn in some stuff about your interest in Geology outside of work.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
In which case I'd 'over-geek' it a little. I have an old uni mate who works from Stavanger who is a proper basin analysis freak, to the point where his holidays were based around field excursions. You don't need to detail your personal statement too much, just emphasise your 'love' of Geology in relation to the potential position outside of work.

Most employers (profs) don't appreciate you being cocky, but also want confidence. A difficult balance.

Seems your friend is over doing it a bit. But then again I am sure many geologists would love to plan a holiday based on the geology of say the Grand Canyon or somewhere as fascinating. :)

For my personal statement I have:
Opening paragraph - bit of getting the reader to reminisce and hit them with why I like geology - something different
Paragraph on working career since leaving my Undergrad
Paragraph on interests including bushcraft, archaeology (studying part time at uni for personal interest), archery, swordfighting.
Very weak paragraph on what I hope the degree may achieve.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Got a first in English if that helps and you want to send it over! Good on grammar, punctuation and effective writing, but don't know much about MSc personal statements.

Last edited:

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Seems your friend is over doing it a bit. But then again I am sure many geologists would love to plan a holiday based on the geology of say the Grand Canyon or somewhere as fascinating. :)

If you met him you'd understand the term 'rock geek'.
Sounds like you're structure is spot on mate. Striking a chord with the reader/interviewer is probably the most important facet of the statement.

All the best!

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
Here chief can a git a joab a ken fit a stane is.

Worth a shot? best writing it when drunk for optimal effect.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE