Portable water power?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Ok, I started a thread in the Homestead sub thread about water power and it lead to this thought.
I have a gravity filter set up so a 5 litre dirty water bag that drains though a filter into a clean water bag.
I carry an Anker 26,800mah Power Bank.
Are we saying that using modern tech like 3d printing etc we cannot create something that charges the power bank in 8 hours and does not weight more than a solar panel?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
No, not enough kinetic energy stored in 5l of water.
Math is something like, 5l of water is 5kg, 9.8m/s^2 acceleration due to gravity, and say have a water drop 1m before hits a turbine.

5kg * 9.8m/s^2 * 1m = 49 joules or 0.01 Wh ... basically nothing, even before accounting for losses.

Last edited:

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
No, not enough kinetic energy stored in 5l of water.
Math is something like, 5l of water is 5kg, 9.8m/s^2 acceleration due to gravity, and say have a water drop 1m before hits a turbine.

5kg * 9.8m/s^2 * 1m = 49 joules or 0.01 Wh ... basically nothing, even before accounting for looses.
Ouch - hard maths.
Is that taking into account pressure? I mean it is 5 litres of water however what happens if the end of the metre drop is a 1mm hole?
I think you are right in that if it takes 3 minutes to go from top to bottom and 100 refills to get 1Wh when you need something like 60 plus to charge the power bank it explains why no one is doing anything with it in this setting.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Flow rate of water through the filter is going to still be limiting factor, I think.

Reactions: Minotaur

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Think of electricity like a waterfall:
The height of the waterfall is the voltage.
The quantity of water going over is the amperage.

What you propose has very little of either one. The solar panels are far more attractive than trying to always find big water.

What I have seen serious campers doing here is a paddle-wheel construction which is connected to a junk car alternator. But that takes serious waterfall in a mountain stream to make any "juice."

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
What type of travel are you planning? Static camp, walking, cycling canoeing? Each style of camp and travel will limit the load you can carry and the available resources. As already stated the maths doesn’t work with 5 litres of water. There can be huge losses in micro generation as well. A few mini water turbines have come to the market over the years aimed at the outdoor enthusiast. None have really stood the test of time. Output v weight v durability and cost.
If I was buying a cabin near moving water then I’d consider a small turbine or waterwheel. Check the environmental regulations for the body of water etc. diverting flow or impeding fish could get you into trouble.
if your technically minded it would be an interesting project at your local Hackspace.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE