Pop Can Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
quick question, are alcohol burners better than solid fuel burners? for example surely once you've pourned your fuel into a burner and set it alight and you still need it by the time its running low, you can't just top it up with more as this will just put it out? also, how long roughly do meths burn for? for example how much alcohol would you need to burn to cook say something that took 20-30 minutes?

cheers :)

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
The cat lasts about 8 mins on full the trangias last longer burn time.
You HAVE to wait till they cool before refuelling the trangias take quite a while to cool down the cat stoves is very quick to cool 30 seconds .
I like solid fuel burners too but they can be used for diff things. For a quick brew cat stove longer cooking trangia or my primus stove (gas or liquid) for less hassle a flask!!!
For a 20min I wouldn't go for a pop can or cat stove.
For a really light quick brew pop stove anyday
Dave

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
"you can't just top it up with more as this will just put it out?"

NO! What it will do is feed back into your fuel bottle which will ignite within fractions of a second and go off like a rocket in a massive ball of fire, spreading third degree burns as it goes. All in all, I'd have to admit defeat and say that the trangia burner offers massive advantages over the coke can burner. I'm having real issues with lighting the thing. I've made a priming ring from a cut down tuna can but it just wouldn't ignite until I put an unseemly amount of meths in it. When it did ignite the reservoir it engulfed the whole stove in a fairly substantial ball of fire that didn't settle down for at least four minutes. It did boil two mugs of cold water in 8mins though.

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
Trouble with having to use a primer pan is why I made a different meth stove, check out deo meth stove thread, a little harder to make but more robust than a pop can and infinitely easier to light:cool:

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Trouble with having to use a primer pan is why I made a different meth stove, check out deo meth stove thread, a little harder to make but more robust than a pop can and infinitely easier to light:cool:

can testify to that! the one you sent me works an absolute treat!! much tougher than the jitty ally they make cans from. perfect width for my Wilkinsons billy

haven't done a timer test yet, i'm sure its fast, but to be honest don't really need to be: A good brew is worth waiting for ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE