Poncho and liner - some idle thoughts...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
The poncho liner seems to be quite a versatile bit of kit - in the USA they seem very attached to them, even giving them a cute nickname -woobies -(so much so I actually bought a new US liner whilst I was over here!). As well as using as a blanket and attaching it to the poncho to make a 2-season bag, I got to wondering why no-one had ever mentioned cutting out a hole in it to enable it to be fitted inside a poncho whilst being worn as a poncho (to make a warm poncho!). It would obviously not then be particularly useful in blanket-mode unless still attached to the poncho with the hood drawn shut, but would still function as a sleeping bag (again with the hood drawn shut). And it would also function as a warm poncho on its own in dry weather........

Anyone tried this, or tell me why this is totally impractical? (And no, I'm not going to cut up my brand new US military liner to suck it and see! Maybe a cheapo second-hand one though.....)

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I made an indoor poncho from some thick fleecy material from my local scrapstore, and it works quite well with my German rubber poncho, although I've only tried it indoors, because the poncho is a last last last resort for rainwear.

I like the sleeping bag idea.................

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Andy,

Rather than cut a hole, why not just add a slit with some velcro.

Possibly a few bits down the sides to tab it in place loosely for sleeping bag mode.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
You mean like this?
Only thing missing is the not-yet-sewn-on flap with a couple of buttons to close the slit.
Works great with a poncho -both as clothing or quilt.
Exped does it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgQ2V85VcmY
DSCF4153.jpg

DSCF4154.jpg

251107013.jpg

3009.07007.jpg

3009.07018.jpg

Last edited:

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
I believe there are companies in the US that sell poncho liners with the neck zip already in, or at least sell a little do-it-yourself kit with zipper etc. I dare say your local repairs & alterations place could knock something up fairly easily.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE