Polypore & gardening

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
Hi guys,
Yesterday I found (what i believe to be) a Birch Polypore (would appretciate conformation about this please :))

And just today I (very crudely) butchered the fungus in the hope that one day, when its dry, i'll make a strop.
My question/worry is; that I 'butchered' it in my greenhouse; where i plan to grow tomatos, peppers, and other veg this year...
But was it a bad idea to prepare the polypore where i plan to grow veg??
will the spores of the fungi affect the veg??
should I have realy prepared the polypore else where??

Your reasurance/advice will be much appreciated,
Dan.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Piptoprus betullina :D

Not toxic and it won't affect your tomatoes :D
It might affect nearby trees if they've got any damage though, but they don't usually spore until later in the year.

cheers,
Toddy

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Specific to Birch. I think the underside of your specimen looks a bit old though, is it quite dry and tough? It may be worth looking out for a really fresh young specimen that has a soft and much whiter underside to make your strop from (the pores should feel soft, spongy and slightly moist).

DMadden

Forager
Aug 31, 2009
South Shields
Thanks guys! I know what you mean about the underside looking a bit old, but it felt just how you've described; feeling slimy almost, with quite a lot of water coming out when I squeezed it.
So I think I'm just going to see how things go.
Cheers, Dan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE