Poly-tunnel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ruvio

Nomad
Right, I've decided to build a Poly-tunnel for next year, so I can grow some different things...just for variety.

Has anyone else here got one? Any tips on how to save money? tips on building etc? :)

Thanks in advance ladies and gents :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My honest answer - as a money saving tip - is "don't". They are good for commercial purposes, less good for domestic. For me, I'd look on freecycle for a greenhouse - you can get them for nothing if you disassemble, remove and re-erect. Nothing fancy but a basic 8x6 is often around.

If you do go down the poly tunnel route, consider carefully the orientation to the sun and prevailing wind - siting is all - and get a couple of mates to help with getting the skin on!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fair play. In that case, bear in mind a poly has a short life span. Have a scrat round the Wash area. Stacks of poles on farms round me in Lincs without a cover - bet you could buy a complete 20' frame for a bottle of scotch and then source a new cover.

Lots of luck with the self sufficiency thing - its the very reason I'm moving to Lincs in a few weeks

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I moved from Spalding over 10 years ago, and every time I go back to see the 'olds, I see the old 'market garden' enterprises which have fallen by the wayside with polytunnels still erect! Like British Red said; a bottle of Scotch and a bit of elbow grease and you'll be sorted.
The last time I looked, the area between Surfleet and Gosberton yielded many old polytunnels and greenhouses. If you go off the beaten track a way, you can find some cracking examples!!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I've had one for years.
garden-july.jpg

Eric

Ruvio

Nomad
Looks excellent Eric

And I live in Bourne, so only a short walk from the farmland. Lovely area near boston, and they have an absolutely amazing market on weekends, best I've seen outside london really.
If you fancy a bindle, I'll be up for it most likely

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I would love to have a poly tunnel, but make do with my postage stamp size garden :)

You would be amazed at what you can do, have a look at square foot gardening(The idea is good, not so sure about the required products), or some of the permaculture people.

Spuds, and Toms are almost idiot proof. Trust Me!

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Polytunnels can be pretty cheap if you build them yourself.

There's a company called Northern Polytunnels which sells 18ft*60ft tunnels for around £1200 including overhead irrigation. You'll need a good team of mates to get the cover on though. The cover should last 12 years or so, we've got to replace a couple at work and they only cost £260 each for the same size of tunnel.

The others are right you should be able to get a frame for almost nothing from old market garden enterprises. Getting the feet out of the ground could be a challenge though.

hairyhippy

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2009
Notts
On our allotment there was one chap who bought / blagged a cheap cover - which was great until the first breeze - whereupon it shredded.

We have three other gardeners who bought more expensive covers which are still going strong. There's a lesson there I feel.

You also need good ventilation to keep plants healthy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE