Polish Lavvu. Help please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dragon32

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2014
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Hi All,
I just bought a Polish Lavvu tent from Military Mart and I am very pleased with it. However, I am puzzled about two things. First is which way does it go? Do the shoulder flaps go inside or outside? Secondly, mine came with 8 short pieces of string with a loop in each end. Are these some sort if guy system to accommodate the rather wide pegs that come with it? Any help you can give me would be gratefully reieved. I have watched youtube videos till my eyes bled and neither question is answered diffinitively.

Thanks,
Don

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
My understanding of it is that the shoulder flaps go on the outside. There is a sort of narrow flap along one edge, which curls round at the apex to form a 'pocket' for the pole end. This should be on the inside.
The cord loops go through the edge eyelets, with the knots on the inside, to form pegging loops.

dragon32

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2014
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Thanks Ian,
I thought it made sense that way but the loops on the outside didn't. It seemed a shame that the paracord loops are on the outside when they would have been very useful to hang things up on inside. I also thought the strings with the loops on the end where a way of pegging it down with the oversize pegs supplied. I will replace them. Thanks very much for you speedy reply.

Don

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
If the shoulder flaps go on the outside, then the rain will come in through the arm holes. If you put the shoulder flaps on the inside then they start to look like shoulder liners. All the printing is on these liners, so I imagine they were meant to be covered when in use.
The original pegs were thin wire ones with a curious bend in them so that, when stowed in the end of the poles, they wouldn't rattle. These could be pushed through the eyelets. The wider substitute pegs are too big to fit throught the eyelets so bits of cord have been provided.
I put mine up in the garden the other day and was cursing the buttons. Wifey got all excited and ran inside only to emerge with a couple of zips she had rescued off a tent about twenty five years ago!

I am planning to use mine as a hide. The arm holes are perfect to stick a telescope or camera through.

Z

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
The arm holes have overlapping double flaps which button up so you can keep the rain out either way. As you say they'd be handy for poking a camera or scope thru'. Also can be used to put a flue thru. When I've modded these tents I generally sew up all but one of the arm holes.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Hmm... The arm holes on mine have double flaps which button up, but they are only on the outside (or inside if you are one of those peculiar shoulder flaps on the outside folk).

Maybe we should do a poll?

Z

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
The flap I described in post #2 is what decides which is in and which is out on one of the shelter-halves. The pocket which it forms; which the top of the pole locates in, has to be on the inside

Nocommonsense

Dec 23, 2014
England
Yeah, I agree.
The only way mine will go up, is with the pocket on the inside, however last night when I had it set up in the garden for a "test" ;) (I just wanted to get outside), the pocket\arm hold thingamajigs leaked a bit when it rained.

On the plus side, no water came through even though I hadn't proofed it, and I filled one of the pole bags up with water to see what happened, and it only leaked through the seams, no water actually soaked through the sides of the bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE