Polish army tent - Lavvu on a budget ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
and its probably half the weight, I have given up on mine now and its only used for playing in the garden by my nephews 4 and 2 who think its great for them but they are a bit shorter than me

3.75Kg for the Vango, well over a kilo of that would be the steel pole. My little 6' 4" boy got the poncho's and no way could he sleep in the setup (I did warn him) so its on the shelf gathering dust :(

Good idea about children using it, my grandson loves the little Tesco dome tent I gave him I think the Poncho's could well be joining it.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
True, I could get a Vango, however I do not like the design that much and already have several synthetic shell tents, this time I wanted to try something different and that was spark proof. Like many members here I don't mind faffing about with a needle and thread to make a piece of equipment meet my needs, (or more accurately my wants :) ) and to be brutally honest, I tend to jump on equipment bandwagons when people start raving about them or against them, and purchase or make them to shape my own opinions, mora knives, Swedish Trangia mess kits, even Bear Grylls Gerber knives (I only have the compact one, I handled the large one and decided I preferred my Fallkniven S1).
This in no way should be considered a tirade against the opinions offered since I posted, people choose equipment that fulfils a need either practical or psychological, some others may comment positively about that equipment when opinions and advice are sought, others negatively, all comments based either on experience or bias. I am thankful for both the positive and negative comments offered as they help me decide how and what to do with the equipment I either have or am looking at trying in the future.
On that note, the seller replied to email and offered a €3 discount, which I have accepted, however those who look to purchase from them in the future should be aware that the translated advert which states "as new" with regards to the sheets may be inaccurate. I don't know if I can or should mention the seller by name here, just suffice to say that the advert has the heading "Zelt, Poln, Armeezelt, 2-Mann-Zelt, oliv, Kinderzelt".

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Now that people have been using these Polish shelter-halves for a while, how have they stood the test of time? Are folks still pleased with them? Or feeling buyer's remorse? There's finally a source here in the U.S., and I'm debating about buying one.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I got one of mine from Poland via ebay some time ago, and the ad pointed out that there were apparently three sizes of poncho, the largest giving a 2.5m diameter. I'm 6' and can sleep reasonably comfortably in mine using the tripod method and polish army groundmat. (And its very warm - a candle will keep you fairly toasty even in sub-zero temps, and completely light-proof!) Couldn't do it using the central pole though, as I'm not shaped like a cucumber!

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Anyone been using them as rain capes? I think they're probably designed more to that end than as tents, and better suited for it. I don't imagine many soldiers outside of training ever bothered to button them up and pitch them as shelters. More likely to roll up in them and crawl under a vehicle or something, I would think. I envision them as rain gear that can be used as a shelter in conjunction with your walking stick, rather than the other way around.

I think they'd be nice for canoeing (large enough to cover your legs) and hunting (large enough to cover your rifle, with not many exposed buttons to clink on the stock and make noise).

I'll find out soon enough, just ordered some.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I got one recently from Military Mart really because of the dual use. I decided it would be mainly a cape but with the added option of using as a tent. Having put it up and stretched out in it, at 5ft 10ins there is just about enough room to sleep, but I will cut a couple of poles to form an A frame methinks rather than dodge the centre pole.
As for its effectiveness in the rain, can't say yet but I suspect the next few days at the moot will give me ample opportunity to find out.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
There is a guy in ormskirk who sells on ebay, if any one is worried about the quality I don't mind taking a pop up there in a week or so and checking them out before they lay out any money.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
Does anyone know if these were ever intended to be used as even smaller shelters as singles? Or larger somehow using 3, 4 or 6? I had an experiment but can't see a way of making anything useful except a half-wigwam/fishing shelter type thing with a bit of string in lieu of the second bit of canvas and a stick to make up for the missing half tentpole. I gather each soldier was issued with one half and two quarters of a tentpole? The only way can make anything approaching a minimal shelter would mean the canvas would be touching the user.

As a comparison I have a couple of old GDR zeltbahns (square cloth with buttons and buttonholes on each edge). You can just about shelter under one with your head or feet sticking out the open ends - I've spent a night in the garden to test - used my coat to make an extension so my feet were out of the rain. Two for two is much better then the more of you there are the more elaborate a shelter you make. Buttoning together square sheets doesn't need much imagination.

IMG_1107.jpg

I do find the Laavu a bit short but do-able if you curve a bit.

Actually, another question, is there any way of discouraging mozzies and other biting insects without a mozzie net? I'm thinking of using a mozzie headnet and keeping the rest of me in the sleeping bag.

I've thought of a citronella candle but am worried about build up of CO fumes if I leave it burning overnight if it rains..

Ta

Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
This looks like the one that someone on here enlarged by adding canvas to the bottom - or can you really buy the larger type too?

That was Karl. I don't think you can buy them that size.

I used one half as a poncho at the Moot and it worked well. The proofing is very good.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
I proofed mine with a water-based brick/paving stuff from B&Q. It didn't stain the material like the 'correct' non-water based tent proofing stuff did. The interesting thing is that if you put the canvas to your mouth you can still blow through it. It's not sealed like with a plastic membrane yet still is waterproof..

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
This looks like the one that someone on here enlarged by adding canvas to the bottom
Karl82 and I did that but we got the weight of fabric too heavy on the added on bottom and it was very unweildy :) I see a lot of them used by reenactors at military shows, some of the german field hospital and other groups use many ponchos buttoned together for all manner of wierd and wonderful tents and other tipi style shelters. Here's one from Cosby Victory show last year :)
260129_4100037133712_1359565818_n.jpg

I'm thinking out a laavu design atm, if anyone has links to fabric suppliers (particularly looking for alumised camo ripstop nyon) or thoughts and experience of laavus to help me, please hop on the thread and gimme a shout :)

PS RTI in Lutterworth had the polish ones at a fiver a cape recently, apologies, I don't have a linky, don't think they sell online anyhow :)

Last edited:

Rydergrove

Dec 28, 2012
Suffolk
www.betweenthetrees.xyz
I have been watching this thread for a while now and finally when I was in Poland brought one of these

I have set it up but I have an issue with one side not being symmetrical what am I doing wrong ? I.e. side won't reach ground to peg it symmetrical

I have set it up with my frontier stove and have been using it as a sauna works quite well

Any help appreciated

photo.php

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I'm thinking of dusting mine off and giving it another go but with an outer tripod to replace the central poles.

To be honest though I'm in the habit of using a large tarp.

Anyone else still using theirs or did the novelty wear off?

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE