Plums! Any good recipes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Today I visited my uncle, and I spotted a plumtree in his garden that was heavy with ripe fruit. When I asked him what he`d do with it he said 'nothing really, rake the lawn after they fell out perhaps'. He was fine with me taking what I could so now I have about 10 kg of plums, and I am in need of ideas. I`ll make some Slivovitz (plum-schnapps), some jam, and I am trying to find a wine-recipe that a novice as myself can follow. Any inspiration or advice is greatly appreciated. I`ll have to have all this goodness prepared before the fruit goes to waste.
2013-09-15+21.17.50.jpg

thanks in advance :)

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
2013-09-16+14.10.06.jpg

Two types of plum-vodka are started. Tonight I`ll cook a large batch of jam, and later this week I`ll try out a plum-wine recipe. All experiments for me, but I am having fun.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Plum goes well with other fruits, so plum and apple, plum and blackberry for example.

Also look up recipes for strudel. The germans do wonderful things with plums and cinnamon.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Plum jelly is certainly on the list. I was also planning on pie, but now that you mention combinations plum-apple crumble sounds really good. Or combination-jams. So many plums, so little time! :p I love having luxury problems.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Sorry. Bottling is a now rather old-fashioned preserving technique. Essentially you put plums in an oven-proof jar, and cover in a sugar syrup. You bake them in the oven, then seal the jar. Keeps for ages, rather like canning. Have a look at 'Fruit bottling' on google or suchlike. I'll try and find a link.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Plum wine, ohhhhhh yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaa....;)

as many plums as you like, the more juice the better the flavour, de stone the fruit boil and leave to steep, or just boil to death then mash them up a bit, filter off the thick bits of fruit in a colander and use to make a pie :) keep the liquid and set to one side to cool down a bit.

now the easy bit.

800g of sugar 1,000g if you want it strong.
2 tea spoons of wine yeast
1 gallon of liquid 4.5 litres
juice of 2 lemons zest of 1

Method:- take the liquid and put it in the sterile demijohn along with the sugar, (half fill for now), luke warm only, no hotter or it will kill the yeast, colder is better than hotter if your not sure.

take the yeast and mix with a little warm water and a little of the lemon juice (the vitamin C helps it all work better).

let the yeast sit for 5-10 mins to start working then add to the demijohn with the remainder of the lemon juice and zest, give it a good swish round to mix it up.

ensure the bottle is air locked and sitting in a tray to catch any over spill, the initial fermentation will be violent.

after 1-2 days add the remaining juice and water to top up. make sure the juice is stored covered in the fridge until needed, remove and set at room temperature for 3-4 hours to warm before adding to the mixture.

leave to brew some place warm until finished, it can take up to 6 weeks if its cool, or longer. filter of sediment and bottle, leave to settle on a concrete floor for 2-3 weeks, then filter / syphon off into clean sterile bottles, leave for 6 months to mature and let the enzymes do there bit, best left for 12 months before drinking, 18 months is better....;)

hope this helps.

regards.

chris.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
That sounds great lannyman! I have been googling some plum-wine recipes today, and many involve a pre-yeasting in a bucket together with pectinase to break the cell walls down. Your method sounds easier. Shame it`ll take so long before it is finished, as I am anxious to try some :p

Todays score:
2013-09-16+20.33.52.jpg

2013-09-16+21.57.09.jpg

Nearly 4 liters of tasty jelly :-D. Tomorrow afternoon I`ll try to make wine. Thanks for the inspiration and recipes guys!

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
All the plums have been used now! They went into jam, liquor/vodka, crumbles and 5 liters of wine. My sister experiments with drying a fair bit as well. Thanks for all the input here. :)

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Sounds good! what will you be making?

A mess, probably!

Jam and chutney are the most likely, or jelly. I don't brew as I don't have the kit. And my wife will almost certainly insist on a crumble, which I have no objection to at all. :)

I'm offloading some of the fruit in swaps tomorrow. I know a lady who will give me bacon and sausages :red:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE