Planting woodland - heavy going!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Only prunings, nothing substantial yet. Plenty of the weed trees we extracted to make room for them though.

We've got a few silver birch that could come down and there's a reasonable amount of gorse but not a great deal to keep us going for very long. I counted the willow trees alongside the barn today - I think there are 14 and the trimmings from those will see us good for a few nights although it's a lot of labour for not very much reward.

FYI, my 410s arrived this morning - sweet little things, especially the folder. Took her out for a stalk this afternoon but having two dogs charging about in front of you isn't conducive to seeing anything.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The little folders work great

Rabbit by British Red, on Flickr

I get most of my wood by the lorry load from a local tree surgeon. I have to section, split and season it, but its the cheapest way of heating :)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Here's my newest additions to the arsenal:

null_zps82893bd7.jpg

Haven't paid for wood yet and reckon we have next Winter's supply in although a lot of it needs splitting. Had some dumped by local tree surgeons, along with wood chip, and some from a good contact. We've also had some leylandii down with more to come so that will be added to the pile!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
What a beautiful project. Do you have any photos of the wood in leaf?

I am stuck with my inner city garden for the foreseeable future. I would love a bit more space, as with 12 apple trees, an oak, a hazel, grey willow and a Christmas tree in 8m x 3m, it's kinda full.

Last year I planted a couple of black thorn tree's on the council plot next to my garden. I staked them and tied them in properly. But the council's goons came out and attacked the area with a brush cutter, and in so doing lopped one of the trees I planted at 3" off the ground. I'm awaiting spring to see if it produces any shoots, or is dead...

Do you have (or plan to have) any bee hives in your woodland?

Julia

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
There should be plenty of photos on my blog. Thus far it just looks like a load of plastic tubes with a few leaves here and there - the woodland is currently still very much in my imagination!

I would like to have beehives - one of my neighbours has them so his bees should like all the blossom producing trees I've planted. I have a friend who would like to keep some as not sure I have the patience/time

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'm guessing I've got a few years before it's a problem and they're not all going to grow at the same rate. At least I only have 1,000 or so as the rest are in spirals

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE