Plant ID - Not White dead nettle I think?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hi

Can anyone identify this, at first I thought it might be White dead nettle, but the stems are only slightly hairy and the leaves don't look right.

Any help appreciated.

P4140023.JPG

It lives in a shaded area, damp soil, many together.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hedge garlic, Jack by the hedge, I have looked at some pics, maybe, it has a smell if I crush the leaves, however I'm not sure how I would describe it, not a pleasant smell though.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hedge garlic, Jack by the hedge, I have looked at some pics, maybe, it has a smell if I crush the leaves, however I'm not sure how I would describe it, not a pleasant smell though.

Sounds like JBTH then - it was called that as it smells a bit "toilety" (Oldie English Jakes" = toilet)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hedge garlic is one of those edibles that divides opinions. Many people hate it, but others like the half garlic half mustard flavour. I'm with those that like it, but it is best as an addition to salads to give a bite of depth, or try in a sandwich with some ham and cheese.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hedge garlic is one of those edibles that divides opinions. Many people hate it, but others like the half garlic half mustard flavour. I'm with those that like it, but it is bext as an addition to salads to give a bite of depth, or try in a sandwich with some ham and cheese.

JBTH with Navelwort rolled into a beech leaf makes a great trail nibble as you can pick it all without stopping :)
Mind you - I also like munching on Ransom buds as I go - love that garlicy bite! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE