Plant / fruit id?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The new roots ought to be well established in less than 8 weeks. Reads like you did it right.
Try not to disturb the new root system to dig the thing up and bring it home and plant it.

That's the myth that the Garden Centers want you to believe = all a bunch of magic, too sophisticated for the average person.
Rubbish. They play in the dirt, you play in the dirt = same results. Not that you ever need to explain how you did it.
I never tell anybody what I do to start grape vine cuttings as it's too stupidly simple to be believed.
Pots, a barrow full of dirt, bucket of water. IBA rooting powder, some big pots with 200 pieces of the annual prunings.
I sell my pruning garbage.

Any really crappy plastic junk food containers will do to start cuttings.
Pots from a garden center are a killer because they don't want you to be a competitor.
So, when I was gifted the yoghurt containers, that's like $100 worth of pots!

Styrofoam Superblocks are probably as scarce as hen's teeth where you live.
I'll bet that they are used to start seeds for reforestation.

But, ask at a vineyard where they buy their stock? You might get lucky.
My first one was filled with 45 Cabernet Sauvignon cuttings that I got for $70.00.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Excellent. My biggest concern now is that I had to it back and year out all the scrub hiding the two vines and I fear some other wanderer may find it and just pull the whole thing up. The surrounding area is awash with litter and inconsiderate fishermen and "campers" debris. But that's a whole other post in itself!

I'll keep you all updated. This is all new to me so quite interesting.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So long as it's damp, in contact with the ground, it'll set down roots pretty quickly, especially in this weather and season. If it doesn't take, don't fret, just tuck it down tight again and leave it. By Spring it'll have rooted and you can cut it free and lift out a new plant :)

M

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
I found a good stock of gooseberries this eve. I'm going to spread that one about as it's the first time I've seen them gone wild. I'm guessing right now isn't the time to be taking cuttings is it?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My gooseberries send up sucker shoots. If those are peeled off and kept in damp soil, they root very quickly….we now have three gooseberry plants :rolleyes: HWMBLT decided to try it with a couple of the suckers.
I quite like gooseberries but they're a jaggy nightmare to weed around.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE