Planning a self-reliant expedition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Which makes me wonder how some scouts managed 40 miles two days running.
thats 13.3 hours walking at 3 miles per hour with no stops ,anything over 3mph is yomping,, are you sure on that distance ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Sorry Nomad just read the post below .....Doh!!!!

Last edited:

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
! I was on a poorly organised expedition with a scout group on the Yorkshire Dales where I ended up having to take my bergan fully loaded, it was only 2 days but we did about 40 miles per day. That was tough work, especially on the hills, if I don't have to plan my overnight stops too strictly, it won't worry me so much!

!
thats 13.3 hours walking at 3 miles per hour with no stops ,anything over 3mph is yomping,, are you sure on that distance

N

Nomad

You have any details on that you can share?

Well, it's a long time since I was in the scouts, but I don't remember anybody ever doing two consecutive 40 mile hikes (especially including hills). The nearest I can find that's current is this...

http://chasewalk.org/event_info.php

One 40-miler, 6am start, cut-off time 1am the next morning. On paths and tracks, very little elevation.

Add hills and do two in a row? Is that really what youngsters in the scouts do these days?

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
Not so much these days, but before the boys came along. Id do 4 miles every hour. Its a fair old pace, that the average walker doesnt fancy. But if distance is your goal 40 miles can be knocked out in 11 hours with a brew a p**s and a map read or 3. Thats with a fairly light pack. Say 10-11kg. It gives you plenty of daylight to camp and cook etc at the end of a day. But as soon as you start adding weight and other tasks, the time drops, alot. Add any lack of discipline or concentration on pace and youll lose tonnes of time. At least what i found anyway.
But the only thing enjoyable at this pace is stopping at the end.

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
Maybe i misread the post. I took scouts to mean the kind that had roll matts and canvas tarps that pioneered america.

Either way a teenage lad in good health could do it, but he'd feel it after for a day or 10.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Unless you are exceptionally experienced at long distance walking and self reliance I wouldn't try and couple them. I would personally reduce the distance drastically to just 5 or 6 miles as you will need a few hours set aside for foraging, hunting and camp duties (firewood and the like) and enjoy the journey rather than race along.

Dartmoor is always a firm favourite of mine but any of the remoter national parks this could be planned on.

Finally I'd consider swapping the rifle for a fishing kit as getting permission to shoot is going to be near impossible if you don't already have contacts.

Good luck

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
30 miles a day seems a bit steep certainly over rough ground. This has been said numerous times but weight is key here. As for roaming I'm not sure if you could do it and not get someone breathing down your neck. I intend to do a full backpacking tour of the UK only resorting to B&Bs as a last resort (such as bad weather + darkness+ lack of suitable camp site) and a visit to poundland for cheap food when I need it. One thing that I was interested in however was slingshot hunting. Its not exactly legal but it its very stealthy and easy to conceal. Rabbits, Grey, Squirrels,Wood pigeons, pheasants are all suitable candidates see a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdVV4SCAZzk as I said I'm not convinced its legal but its interesting to look into. Is anyone aware of slingshot laws?

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
30 miles a day seems a bit steep certainly over rough ground. This has been said numerous times but weight is key here. As for roaming I'm not sure if you could do it and not get someone breathing down your neck. I intend to do a full backpacking tour of the UK only resorting to B&Bs as a last resort (such as bad weather + darkness+ lack of suitable camp site) and a visit to poundland for cheap food when I need it. One thing that I was interested in however was slingshot hunting. Its not exactly legal but it its very stealthy and easy to conceal. Rabbits, Grey, Squirrels,Wood pigeons, pheasants are all suitable candidates see a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdVV4SCAZzk as I said I'm not convinced its legal but its interesting to look into. Is anyone aware of slingshot laws?

Its perfectly legal to hunt with a slingshot. Aslong as you have permission to hunt. Flatbands and lead shot are neccesary in my opinion. To guarantee a kill and not an injury.

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
Well maybe not perfectly legal. If you brandish and shoot a squirrel or duck in a park. Youll probably be treated by the police as someone armed with a firearm. If your on your own permission, with clean kills and hunting fair game, your not going to have trouble from anyone.

I'm in agreement about the distance being hard

I've done long hikes with a full bergan and webbing and if ******* hurts
No matter how young and fit you are
Repeating it day after day without a group of people hurting just as much and moaning at the world and helping each other is almost suicide
Sorry if I'm ranting a bit
But after 1st 30 mile day you will hurt and not be your best
You may even be to tired to hunt/forage or eat
The next day you will start tired and hungery

The next 30 miles if in scotland probably in mostly rain
And your starting to lag
You feel light headed
After a few more days you make mistakes you fall
You could die

That's why folks don't do endurance races with big packs

Sorry for the rant as I don't know you

But expeditions
Like that scare me if not done in groups of 3 or 4

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE