Pitching a parachute

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I've finally got a parachute on the way and I was wondering if anyone had any experiance in pitching them. I have had a search around but must have missed the good stuff as I couldn't find much.

I know about the obvious method of lobbing some cord over a branch and stringing it up that way and another method I'm going to try is a central pole (Arran style) with internal guys that would be attached to the sides through loops stitched to the seams. I want to try and avoid loads of pole as carrying them will be a nightmare and I wouldn't really want to be cutting loads down.

Any other tips would be gratefully received :D

Of course, the first thing I need to find out is the size of my chute. All I know about it at the moment is that it's American, it could be a full sized cargo 'chute for all I know!! :O

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi,

Have tried both pole and rope method for pitching parachutes, and the rope method is definately the better option.

The best way is to fold the 'chute in such a way as to give a double skin, and using pebbles and string to form toggles for closing the edges, the double skin will give better waterproofing should it rain. also try to keep the edges a few inches off the ground so that the morning dew doesn't climb up and get it wet.
The other problem you may find is finding somewhere high enough to haul the top of your 'chute too.

Good luck

webmaster@ludlowsurvivors.com

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
Are you definite what shape it is? I bought one many years ago for a friend and it turned out to be a wing design rather than the circular one we thought it would be.

We cut the wing open by crawling into the vent gaps and slicing through the vertical walls, the bottom became the floor and the top was the lean too roof which was tied to trees. Made a rather more interesting gazeebo to party in and then sleep in, in a field.

Rgds

Well, my parachute arrived and if I lay it out on the floor, I don't have the room to open it out completely, but I would say it's about 10' - 12' long and multi coloured as opposed to all green which will make the inside a lot lighter. I'll need to fashion a cap to cover the hole on the top, but that's easy. One bonus I wasn't expecting is the miles and miles of laced up shroud lines still attached to the bottom :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE