pine bark is a source of vitamin C!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steffen

Forager
Jun 13, 2010
Norway
i didn't know that! i learned something new today.
i was browsing the internet while at work and found an interesting article at nrk.no
apparantly they have doing some research on bark harvesting in a area called lønsdalen, 2 hours drive south of me.

i tried to translate it in google translate, but many of the sentences doesn't even make sense after the translation.
if anybody still wants to check it out:

norwegian:
http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/nordland/1.10842172

google translated to english:
http://translate.google.no/translat...w.nrk.no/nyheter/distrikt/nordland/1.10842172

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
Pine needles contain vitamin "c" also and make nice tea. I've heard it before but it bears repeating that the ultimate irony was the European explorers in Canada dying of scurvy while laying on a bed of pine boughs.

ianpatt

Feb 26, 2013
Essex
Heard somewhere that you can tap the sap running up the trunch of a pine or was it a birch? whichever one it was that was loaded with vitimin c. pine needle tea is luvly though, nettle tea aint.

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
I think ive already mentioned this but i like it enough to say it again! The early explorers in Canada died of scurvy, while laying on beds of pine boughs, they were too arrogant to drink the pine needle tea the natives drank. I think this must be the ultimate irony, dying on a bed of the same thing that would save your life.

I must of been drunk when I made this second post.....sorry guys ad gals :)

Last edited:

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
Heard somewhere that you can tap the sap running up the trunch of a pine or was it a birch? whichever one it was that was loaded with vitimin c. pine needle tea is luvly though, nettle tea aint.

I've tapped birch several times, it tastes quite good from some kind of sugar but I am unsure of the vitamin C content. Pine sap is used for turpentine but you can eat the inner bark. Pine needles are good for tea.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE