Petromax HL1 lantern. Answered.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I'm in the market for a couple of reasonably inexpensive paraffin lamps mainly to light up the patio but also for standby lighting in the event of a power cut. I've seen the Petromax HL1 and like it plus the cost is great. I was wondering if anyone has ever used one and can give some insight either good or bad,

Thanks in advance,
Malc.

Screenshot from 2015-10-10 23:36:54.jpg

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Save your money, these are no better or worse than the cheap ones on ebay.

Get four for a tenner and give them a quick spray with something like BBQ paint. I've had two left out exposed in the garden for years and they are still working fine.

WoodGnome

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2015
Germany/Northern Ireland
Don't get that one. Petromax has great stuff, but the HL1 definitely is not among it. You could go for the Feuerhand at the same price range, which is okay, but won't last forever either or you invest a little more and get the Dietz Hurricane Lantern in brass.

41JUkQFNHIL.jpg

http://www.bosunslockerchandlery.co.uk/chandlery/below-deck/oil-lamps/brass-hurricane-lamp.html

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Thanks WoodGnome, I've been looking at the Feuerhand Baby Special Lantern #276. The 276 is in my price range for very occasional use. At least I can find user reviews and videos on that one unlike the Petromax. Plus Heinnie Haynes has it at a good price and factor in the BCUK discount it's even better.

Screenshot from 2015-10-14 01:55:35.jpg

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If you want more light, consider a pressure lantern. Lots of them about, and lots of experience to call on both here and over on spritburner.com.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I hit submit and the post disappeared for some reason apologies in advance for a possible double post.

Cheers rik I don't need 5 but there's this one from the same seller. My only problem with so called "old stock" is the very remote possibility of a tank leaking. You wouldn't believe the aggro I went through just convincing my wife that they aren't the same as 40 years ago. When she was a child they went on holiday and It seems that while using a lantern at the cabin the tank leaked and started a small fire on the front porch.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1955-Grem...w-old-stock-/221904937941?hash=item33aa90a3d5

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE