Personalising a Swedish army cookingset

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Hi ladies and gents,
I thought I'd show you my latest project, being a Swedish amy cookingset, brought up to my personel standards.
I didn't alter the basic set, just added some things to make it more complete and convenient.
One of the main things that bothered me was the constant rattling of metal against metal, so I made a pouch for it, which fits quite snuggly.
I also do not like the idea of the burner being transported in the kettle. I somehow have a problem with mixing fuel with food...:rolleyes:
Another issue was the loose fuelbottle. This way I have everything at one place.
4tasje.jpg

I wanted to add a mug too and a standard natomug fits perfectly. Mine has a homemade (not by me) lid and to this combination I added a littlebag, made out off an old sleeve. It is stretchfabric, so no more rattling here either. Also the inside of the main kettle is protected.
Because I wanted to use this mug safely I added a small piece of mesh. This way the mug can sit level on the brackets, intended for the original set. Without it the brackets would have to be closer together and the mug would tilt to one side and wobble. Not a good idea if it contains boiling water.

4setup-1.jpg

The completed set;
4personalised-1.jpg

The homemade lid;
4deksel.jpg

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Awesome set up!! You have read my mind with regards to the rattle and transporting fuel with food...i might have to nick your idea!

Although I have the Austrian Cookset (the same as Swedish albeit with an extra bowl nested into the main pot) this set up should work fine...thanks for sharing!!

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
cooooool.......

good job, i hate rattles but thats kind of been drummed into me being in the forces.........

very nice work...

chris...............................

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
A couple of interesting tips picked up from the good ol Utube. First of all is using the top container as a cup (blindingly obvious perhaps - similar capacity to an army crusader mug) but not one I'd thought of before, probably because I'd always carried a kuksa inside it!. The other is to use the top and bottom pans as a dutch oven - clipped together they can be put into a fire with th coals banked around it.

Last edited:

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
That, RonW, is a fine example of how versatile the SAT can be, and how 'personal' each set is to the owner. I sometimes wonder why the hobo stove is so popular given the (almost) limitless possibilities of the SAT and its little additions such as the kuksa and the Austrian cookware set.

I'm very interested in the bag you've made for it, especially the fabric you've used. Is the sleeve you used for the construction of it from an old army shirt?

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
The fabric used for the main pouch feels kind of wool-like, possible with a touch of cotton in it. It is tough, doesn't rip easily and SWMBO bought it at the market for a few euros per meter. It was dirt cheap actually.
I made the bag by cutting a bottom for it and then the sides. If you want the flaskpouch too, then add that to the side first! Afterwards it becomes quite hard. I tried...
I simply used the SAT for measurements.
The small bright green baggie is cut from an old longsleeved t-shirt. Just cut 15cm above the wrist and then it's been sewn together at one end and pulled over the mug. Nothing fancy really.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Nicely done RonW - I love my Swedish Army Trangia, I was so impressed with it that I got one for my mate too (both from the gift it on thread).

cooooool.......

good job, i hate rattles but thats kind of been drummed into me being in the forces.........

very nice work...

chris...............................

Aye noise disciple, Chris. I have an old cloth beer mat wrapped around mine when it's in the utility pouch and no rattles.

I wish we'd been issued SAT's instead of mess tins. I used mess tins and hexi out of habit for years but am a full convert to Trangia now.

The only minor downside is not being able to slide a handy bog roll over the handles like you could with the nesting mess tins.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Noice discipline is a must for me, as is being (practically) invisible.

I must say that I like my SAT better than the standard issue messtins, too!
I use those too, but only for preparing larger amounts of food, in case my kids come along. I wrap a cloth handkercief around the messtins. Stops it from rattling and you always have a clean towel ready to use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE