Pay It Forward - Tree Knowledge Competition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh no, the hints are public - I'm kind and helpful - isn't that obvious from this thread? :D

Okay, lets make the hint based around no.5 ;)

The hint on No.5 is that it has not been guessed by anyone so far, however the tree in question has been named but not against no.5.

There you go Matt - now no knocking him down again for another hint :)

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Geoff, I seem to recall in the last one people syaing "make it tough" :lmao: .

This was going to be a "paid for" hint, but, to be completely fair and answer your point, I happy to reveal the following:

All of the species listed are real, likely to be found growing "wild" in Britain . There are no extreme oddities. Every tree in the competition has a full sized entry (not just as a confusable species) in Collins "how to identify Trees".

Can't say fairer than that

CMOT Red;)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Okay, lets make the hint based around no.5 ;)

The hint on No.5 is that it has not been guessed by anyone so far, however the tree in question has been named but not against no.5.

Red

So I thought, great, it's turned into a logic puzzle. I can do logic puzzles. So I eliminate all trees that have already been named by someone against number 5 but there's lots of them. If I've got it right, then No 5 must be one of these...because they have all been proposed by someone, but have never appeared at number 5.

Alder
Aspen
BlackLocust(falseacacia
Cypress
Elder
FalseAcacia
Fieldmaple
GoatWillow
Hemlock
Holly
Hornbeam
HorseChestnut
LondonPlane
MountainAsh
Oak
Pine (I haven't separated out all the species of pine that have been proposed)
SalixIthink,I'mgoingwithpoplar
Sycamore
Walnut
Whitebeam
Willow
Yew

HTH helps you experts. I guess that some of these can be eliminated very quickly by someone who knows their bark.

Geoff :)

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
OK, time for second go. Now watch me change all the ones I got right and make them wrong! :D I know that I got at least half wrong before, but since I'm not looking these up, I'll just have to accept that I don't know them, lol. Still, it's great because it's proved to me that I know more than I did before, and yet it isn't impossible to learn more.

1. Horse Chestnut
2. False Acacia
3. Elder
4. Oak
5. Sycamore
6. Poplar - grey or black
7. Cedar
8. London Plane.
9. Beech
10. Scots Pine

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Gents - neither were 100%.

Thats 9 entries so far. I'll give the high score again when we get to 10.

Happy to sell additional hints for kind acts of course :)

Red

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Had trouble sleeping last night my wife said I was shouting out "Elder! no, Walnut" I will have another bash, Very tricky to ID from just the bark alone.......

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here goes again

1. Sycamore
2. Willow
3. Field Maple
4. Ash
5. Hornbeam
6. Whitebeam
7. Oak
8. London Plane
9. Beech
10. Cedar of lebenon

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
All of the species listed are real, likely to be found growing "wild" in Britain . There are no extreme oddities. Every tree in the competition has a full sized entry (not just as a confusable species) in Collins "how to identify Trees".

CMOT Red;)

I thought about seeing if I could buy a copy - may be out of print now, but Amazon have two copies available at (prepare to be shocked) £144.45 plus postage! At that price I'd thought they would have given free postage.

Geoff

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I thought about seeing if I could buy a copy - may be out of print now, but Amazon have two copies available at (prepare to be shocked) £144.45 plus postage! At that price I'd thought they would have given free postage.

Geoff

HOW MUCH! ..........

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yow thats steep Geoff. I'm sure Collins must do a more modern "tree Book" though. If its in the old one I bet its in there.

Matt,if you think you are strange enough.......:)

Okay the best score so far is

is............................

is..................................

(we'll be right back after the adverts)

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
..................welcome back

The best score is 5/10 :lmao:

Since there has been a random act of kindness..............

There are two trees that have not been correctly named yet

Red

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
1! Sycamore
2 Hawthorn
3 elder
4 Ash
5 Walnut
6 whitebeam
7 Oak
8 London Plane
9 Lime
10 Pine

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
OK, so if I update my list of possibles for No 5, taking into account that it still hasn't been named correctly, we have:

Alder
Aspen
BlackLocust(falseacacia
Cypress
Elder
FalseAcacia
Fieldmaple
GoatWillow
Hemlock
Holly
HorseChestnut
LondonPlane
MountainAsh
Oak
Pine (I haven't separated out all the species of pine that have been proposed)
SalixIthink,I'mgoingwithpoplar
Whitebeam
Willow
Yew

(I've removed walnut, sycamore and hornbeam). Still quite a few to choose from, but I suspect that some of these are really obviously not No 5.

Now I'm wondering if I can do some more analysis of the answers so far, given that the highest score is still only 5/10...

Geoff

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
There are two trees that have not been correctly named yet

Red

I wonder what that means. Does it mean that the names of two trees have not yet appeared anywhere on the thread, or does it mean that 8 of the trees have been named correctly by at least one person...

...I'm not necessarily expecting an answer from Red here, just thinking out aloud.

Geoff

PS: Seeing that a Yorkshireman is often described as a mean Scotsman, I haven't contributed anything to any charities yet - then again the Yorkshireman in me says that I haven't actually submitted an entry yet. :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Children in need are going to love you SOAR :)

Not all correct I'm afraid, however your trend is improving after a problem in the middle. (does that help Geoff)?

Oh for future entries I'm going to need the types of things like "pine" (e.g. Sitka Spruce or Scots Pine as given previously).

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE