Paraffin lamp glass cleaning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Hi all ok i love old paraffin stoves and have a fair few including a lovely rippingille stove/oven i fully restore , nowi have been getting in to the old paraffin lamps as well .
We are preppers to a point in this house lol yup that is the term people use i call it being prepared like the boy scout in me , the wife and i stock up on everything we can and read on ways to fix and heal not sure why but we both are the same and guess it comes from a childhood in the 60's and 70's .

Now to my point i have a farmlight hobnail glass lamp well a few but one came and the top of the glass chimney is soot or carbon burnt on staining i have tried alsort of ways to clean it the vinegar soak the dishwash tablet soak the bi carb and vinegar mix and rub and soak and so on but nothing is getting the smokyness off the last 2 to 3 inch of the chimney any ideas what else i can try as i would like the glass crystal again if i can .

Thanks in advance

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Astonish paste or The Pink Stuff.

Both are very gently abrasive pastes, but neither ought to mark glass.

They're awfully good at removing tannin stains from inside the good china, put it that way :)

Reactions: Disabled Preppers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think they're worth saving too, worth a wee bit of effort.

The paste stuff won't go to waste, it's awfully handy for cleaning the cooker, the sink, even teaspoons that get tannin stained at the back above the handle. They all come up shining.
Clean but not scratched and scored, if I make myself clear ?

Himself set a bag of popcorn nearly on fire in the microwave and the smoke stained the inside top of the door. The paste cleaned it off that too with no bother.
You would not believe how bad burning popcorn smells, or how long the smell lasts !

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I third the ‘pink stuff’ I have used it for all manner of things now - including polishing up a stainless steel shaving mirror I use in the shower, we also use it for cleaning out butler sink and the glass on the wood burner etc. it’s excellent stuff

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Ok guys and girls i will be getting some of the PINK STUFF to , when we say pink stuff my mind goes back to the 70's and windowlene lol , yup we had a holiday caravan in the 80's and my sisters daughter was at the crawling stage of life we turned our back for a few seconds she had the windowlene out all over her and was trying ot drink it lol , funny now but then it was like panic day

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They're basically the same, so either will do. The Pink Stuff seems to be more widely available though.
It does a good job on cleaning off the soot on the bottom of billies and kettles, it should do fine on the chimney.

M

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Thanks all it never hurtts to ask others advice , i tried all the old fashion ways and well thanks again i just refuse to become a throw away type person , if ican save something then well the womble in me comes out

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
LOL yes us wombles are a funny little thing to get your head round but then again i am a one for a skip to so i also get called steptoe , lol i will say i have been called other things to lol but nothing i can repeat in mixed company .
I have always said if you can reuse it may be not today ot tomorrow but i guarantee if you throw it away you will say ah we have that in the garage or in the shed or in the loft and then you will remember you threw it out and say oh sausages .
I am right now working on a old air rifle pcp and also i have a greenhouse heater that the wheel winder will not work but i will get it going , i love old stuff to i have a lovely rippingilles stove in the kitchen that was well just thrown in the back of a garge until the man found it and put it on FB i got it and she took 6 months of rubbing down and painting and work but looks a treat now

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Ok got the astonish today going to give it a go later but as it is dry out not warm but dry i am going to try and get some done in the polytunnel and under the nets get the leeks in and sow the french beans , it never ends at this time of year mother nature lets us get lazy all winter then wham

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Hi all ok i finally got round to cleaning the glass don't ask boiler packed up so had ot get that out and new in and all the tidying up after so this glass got put to one side , well today i sat with a cuppa and got the paste out and a sponge yup a little elbow grease was needed but after 30 minites or so of clean wash check clean wash check i got it so clean in the top of the chimney part of the glass the rest of the mushroom shape shade looked dirty so i then did the whole lot and wow a sparkle like i have never seen , i will be doing the top of the cooker next as it is a glass top and a bit scuffed .
Thanks again all for the recommendations of the astonish

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE