Paracord wraped handles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I don't like the look of them and they don't seem very practical. I would imagine that dirt and gunk would get into the paracord and over time they'd either get disgusting or you'd have to scrub them to keep them clean. (But that might just be a girlie response :eek: )

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I find them horribly uncomfortable, unhygeinic as Doctor Spoon pointed out, and unsightly. If I were in a survival situation and needed a quick handle, I'd be much more inclined to pad it out with something else (tear a strip off a tshirt if possible, though i'm sure an alternative could be found) and then wrap it in paracord, but that'd really be a last resort for me.

Seeing as most of the paracord knives are NOT handled in a survival situation, I really don't understand why its used. Its ergonomics are nonexistant, generally ending in a handle that is (in my experience, and to my tastes) too thin and for the third time, it's unsafe as far as bacteria is concerned.

Not meaning to cause any offence, just offering my opinion ;)

Peace!

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
IMO paracord handles are made for the same reasons as coated blades. To reduce labor cost.

Nothing wrong with that but then to sell such a blade for the same price as you could get a satin finish and a nice set of scales is a great feat of marketing:rolleyes:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hard to clean, ugly as sin, looks US style "tacticool" and can be hard and abrasive on my soft girly hands ;)

Other than though.......

Red

seved

Maker
Dec 10, 2007
Sweden
www.sevedsknivar.se
LOL yes i know what you mean i have very small hands to. I have heard that it is hard clean to. I have never used a knife with it for a long time, but as a hunting knife i think its very bad.

Seved

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Horrible things,
They get wet and they stay wet; they get dirty and they stay dirty, they cause a build up of corrosion and grinding products, and they have no justification on the just in case scenarios. If you are that desperate for a metre or so of cordage, make the blasted stuff, it's not rocket science :rolleyes: Uncomfortable to use for any length of time too.
Very pretty though.... :naughty:

cheers,
Toddy

seved

Maker
Dec 10, 2007
Sweden
www.sevedsknivar.se
Hd i am glad you say what you think. Thats why i asked. Its some work with coating, and blasting sand, coating is not so cheap, thats why its expensive with coating sometimes( I think).

Seved

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Rambo's new knife is paracord wrapped, with grip tape over that. ;)

Not sure paracord wrapped handles are as bad as everyone seems to make out it is. Japanese wrapped with rayskin and leather handles seem to do just fine, in days gone by.

Though alot of knives paracord wrapped are tacky, but then so are alot of manufactured knives .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
And Japanese weapons aren't used to cut up muddy roots, trim barks, cut plants, scrape hides, batton timbers and make feathersticks, kuksas and spoons or prise limpets and lichens from rocks :rolleyes: and my knife has been used to all of these things this past couple of weeks.

cheers,
Toddy

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Not sure paracord wrapped handles are as bad as everyone seems to make out it is. Japanese wrapped with rayskin and leather handles seem to do just fine, in days gone by.

Not really the same thing. The Japanese cord wrap was applied over a wooden handle, they are much more bulky than the typical cord wrap over full tang tactical knives you see these days. They were meant for grip in battle. The resin/cord wrapped grips of some combat knives probably do much the same thing, but for bushcraft you want something a lot more comfortable. Grippy handles can wear away on your hands if you have to use them too long, and unless the grip is packed out under the cord, the hard edge of the tang will dig into you on hard carving cuts. Resin impreged cord is still used on some hunting knives for grip where having the knife slip is of more concern than long term blisters.

Unfortunately the images are gone, but this thread was talking about a rather nicely made knife with a cord grip.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20030

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Not really the same thing. The Japanese cord wrap was applied over a wooden handle, they are much more bulky than the typical cord wrap over full tang tactical knives you see these days. They were meant for grip in battle. The resin/cord wrapped grips of some combat knives probably do much the same thing, but for bushcraft you want something a lot more comfortable. Grippy handles can wear away on your hands if you have to use them too long, and unless the grip is packed out under the cord, the hard edge of the tang will dig into you on hard carving cuts. Resin impreged cord is still used on some hunting knives for grip where having the knife slip is of more concern than long term blisters.

Unfortunately the images are gone, but this thread was talking about a rather nicely made knife with a cord grip.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20030

Yes, remember seeing them, think they have just been moved.

http://www.rhgraham.com/knives1.html &
http://www.rhgraham.com/knives5.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE