Our dependence on electricity

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
This film shows just how dependent we really are on electricity. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but found it interesting seeing it through the eyes of the different characters. A hypothetical scenario, yes, but one which could happen in varying degrees, and does as a result of severe storms.
Depending on where you live in the world, the actions of people are sure to vary.

American Blackout 2013 National Geographic:

http://youtu.be/PreJvrljihI

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You have a point....until some eejit blows up the power station or plays silly blighters with the controls :sigh:

I'm kind of hopeful about the energy future, I really am :)
We are becoming more and more efficient in our energy use as technology develops; LED lights for instance. Right enough we keep developing more toys and 'must haves' to play with too though :rolleyes:

M

Norton

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2009
Glasgow
In my opinion the issue in Scotland Is that to build and maintain our windmills, wave power thingumyjigs or whatever gizmo is generating electricity we still require traditional fossil fuels. When we maintain them and build them from materials and energy that are renewable we might be able to be smug. Until then it's a whole lot of hot air from political windbags using it to further their cause before an upcoming vote I'll talk no more about on this thread.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...In my opinion the issue in Scotland Is that to build and maintain our windmills, wave power thingumyjigs or whatever gizmo is generating electricity we still require traditional fossil fuels..."

+1 to this, I have yet to find anyone who can tell me how may barrels of oil it will take to plan the site, design a windmill, make the concrete, transport the concrete to site, mine the metals, move the metals to the factory, assemble the parts, move the parts to site, assemble and then maintain the windmill for its life. Nor have I yet been able to find out what that working life will be.

Now if the energy (in barrels of oil) produced by the windmill over its life is measurably greater then the number of barrels of oil needed to put it in place and keep it running then that is a good thing, if I suspect the actual return is less then maybe rik_uk3 has a point. Although I can spot a possible problem with most nuclear power stations in that they are often situated on or near the shore and if, as we are told, sea levels might rise over the coming decades then that should be taken into consideration.

Of course Scotland also provides a free higher education, so even if the windmills are not cost effective long term they might keep the lights and servers on at our seats of learning long enough for some bright individual to invent cold fusion.

:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
.......stick in the mud then :D

The thing is though that there has to be some expenditure, some outlay, before any return. That's all this is, and please don't bring politics into it; it's a much bigger issue than that.
Without any foundation there is no progress, no development, no improvement. No one has claimed that the status quo on the energy technologies is perfect, simply that it's a real start :) I find that encouraging, but there will always be the luddites.

cheers,
M

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
The only thing to limit the use of electricity is simply by NOT using it.
Yes, many appliances are becoming more and more efficient, but we also use more and more (unnecessary) electrical appliances. There isn't a householdchore for instance that does not have an electricityconsuming gadget for it, wether it is coffeemaking, cleaning, kneading etc. ow about gardenwork? I mean, you can even hoover your lawn!!
And I am not even talking about all the tv-, telephone- or audiorelated stuff....

It is us being lazy and spoiled rotten that rises the need for powered things more and more.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
'It is us being lazy and spoiled rotten'

Not really, people move on. I would think all of the parents of members here upgraded gadgets at home as they could afford to do so. We had a fridge and TV when many neighbours didn't but they sure as heck got them as soon as they could afford too.

Find an unknown tribe somewhere who've had no contact with the modern world and show them a Bic lighter.....they all want one.

The remenants of the hunter gatherer instinct that may be hot wired into our DNA (or may not, I lean toward the tabula rasa view ) may well be shown in how we all 'gather' the new.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Nuclear is far and away more efficient than windfarms, the output generated by a nuclear power station dwarf's that of many windfarms combined, i live near a nuclear power station and a large windfarm half the time the blades are'nt even turning, thus not producing,though i do have a interest as wife works in power stations all over the country.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
We have gone past the point of no return regarding not using any electricity. With the amount of humans on the planet. Just to feed us and take away our sewage/bins for example.

Norton

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2009
Glasgow
Nuclear has the same issues as renewable, we mine the raw materials and refine them using fossil fuels. The return is probably better than current renewables but the issue is the same.

This isn't a political site so I don't intend going down that route but I do feel the need to say this. Even though I agree the issues are much bigger than politics we are in a dire situation in this country because successive politicians stuck their collective heads in the sand. On the surface what's happening in Scotland seems great, when you consider resources are finite I ask myself if being given to unproven inefficient generation is a good use.

As an electrical technician I actually really like the windfarms I see around, I also find them interesting technically. They are a long way off being truly useful though and we need short term solutions. Unfortunately those solutions don't fit the political ideologies of a large number of British politicians. The majority may well suffer due to that one issue.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Rather than wondering about our future electrical supply, I was more interested in how people react when losing their electricity.
The more we depend on it, the more effect it has when it's unavailable. Less developed countries are obviously much less affected than we are.
The film demonstrates just how quickly we in the so called civilized world would revert back to a more primitive manner as our basic needs became less available.
There's much to be said for those living in a rural or isolated area rather than an urban one.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There's much to be said for those living in a rural or isolated area rather than an urban one.

We are in the unusual state of not relying on any mains services entirely - but imo electricity is tough to be without, even when its not a matter of life or death. We have worked hard for that amount of resilience - but I hope never to have to rely on it !

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Supposing it did all crash to a shattered mess.
I think there's enough knowledge among the population now to make electricity, even if it's just small generation stuff....I have friends who live totally off grid, they make their electricity from a waterwheel in a nearby burn. It's not a 'lot' of electricity, but it's enough to power up mobile phones and charge batteries for laptops, and with the newer low power draining LED's it provides some light too, especially in the dark days of Winter...which, coincidentally is when the burn runs in spate.
Those small rooftop windturbine things are pretty commonplace, they'd do the same thing.

cheers,
M

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I'm guessing most of the Scottish "renewables" is in hydro - which is nice if you've got plenty of water to help you generate it! Similarly, Iceland - if I remember correctly - generates virtually all its energy needs from thermal vents - again ok if you don't mind the odd volcano that goes along with an unstable crust, and are "lucky" enough to live on a tectonic fault....

Lucky for us in England therefore to be able to benefit from all the energy available once fracking comes on-line...........

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think to be honest it's a huge mixture of technologies.....well, apart from sunshine :)

I think the tidal ones should be given more effort; the tide is as regular as clockwork, in and out, twice a day, but apparantly it's not as easy as it sounds.

Lot of water in England too, and a huge coast line; off shore windfarms ? why not? "spoils the view"....maybe, but there's a lot of spoiled earth and water caused by the use of coal mines, and the fracking seems to be of huge concern.

cheers,
M

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Rather than wondering about our future electrical supply, I was more interested in how people react when losing their electricity.
The more we depend on it, the more effect it has when it's unavailable. Less developed countries are obviously much less affected than we are.
The film demonstrates just how quickly we in the so called civilized world would revert back to a more primitive manner as our basic needs became less available.

I've enough paraffin to light my home and cook on for at least a year. I'd hate to have to do that though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE