Other uses for sloes ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Hi folks,

I've reasd the Sloe-Gin thread but am interested in what other uses there are for sloes other than gin ? I went out foraging today ( mainly for blackberries ) and found a few handfuls of sloes. I guess they could be added to bread? Can you make Jam from them ? Wine ? What other uses ?

Boooshpig

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
Alright Bush,

What a bizarre coincidence. I went out for a wander today with my nipper, and happened accross three Blackthorn trees. I found a couple of bottles lying around (I suppose litter is quite useful occasionally), and collected up a load of ripe sloes. As I'd never eaten one, I gave it a try. I was expecting something really astringent and bitter, but they weren't as bad as I thought, so I ate a few more.

I was also thinking of Sloe gin, then wondered about jam. I figured you add so much sugar to jam, it might be quite nice. I thought perhaps sloe, blackberry and crab apple jam, as there all in season right now (and the crab apples have loads of pectin in them).

I'm going to get more sloes one evening next week, so I'll probably try the gin and the jam. I'll let you know how I get on.

:)

Pappa

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Sloe wine is very nice, as is sloe jelly - which is more like a tart jelly like cranberry that goes very well with game meats. I imagine you could use this as a jam, but its quite sharp.

Also, if you pulp sloes left over from making sloe gin, push through a sieve to get the pips out, and then mix it with a LOT of sugar - and boil it up with a bit of water - makes the most amazing ice-cream sauce :D

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
the basic recipe for almost any jam is equal parts sugar to fruit and a tiny bit of water. Most jams tend to be a bit too sweet this way though, so I tend to do 3/4 sugar to 1 fruit to compensate for this.

To make jam:

Put fruit in a pan, add enough water to just mix and bring to the boil - for fruit such as apples cook until a soft pulp forms, for softer fruit such as blackberries a minute or two will do. Add the sugar slowly and stir until all well dissolved (take care to do this slowly or the sugar will stick and burn).

Gradually increase the heat until its bubbling away, and cook for between 5 - 15 minutes until the jam begins to set (a jam thermometer is good for this - when it reaches 'jam' temperature, its ready :) ) Take a small spoon on the mix and put it on a cold plate - leave for 20 seconds, and then push with your finger - if it has a skin which 'crinkles' then it is suitably set - if it just moves about cook some more. Retest every 1-2 minutes.

Pour into jars while hot and seal the lids, the heat of the jam will sterilise the jars and the cooling gases will contract and suck the lid on tight.

Making a jelly is exactly the same, except you boil the fruit and water until soft, then strain through a jam bag to get all the bits of fruit/seeds out.

Then add the sugar to the fruit jucie mix and repeat as above.

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
I prepared sloe gin today. 1L gin, 1Kg sloes, and 4 tbsp sugar. After a few hours and a few shakes, it's already started to go pink. :D

I went and collected about another 1Kg of sloes and few handfulls of crab apples too, they're all in the freezer (with my blackberries) ready for my first jam. I'm excited already. :)

I'll probably follow the recipe I found here.

Pappa

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Great question! I've got a glut of sloes in my surrounding area and there's only so much space for bottles to go!

happy99.gif

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
................for playing sneaky tricks on your nephews :rolleyes: , showed them the variety of fruit that is around at the moment, cherry plums, blackberrys etc, got them munching away quite nicely on the free food, then told the youngest to take a small bite from a sloe, he wouldn't do it though until he saw me take a bite, goos to know that he won't eat anything that grows wild unless he told it is safe to do so, took a small nibble to prove it was edible (well kind of), he then took a small bite himself, his face was a picture, still he now knows not to eat them through experience :)

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Sloe wine is excellent but it needs to be aged to bring out its flavour. I recommend a year.

Since moving to the "big smoke" I stopped home brewing but my sloe wine recipe was something like this

3 Lb sloes

0.5 Lb raisins

3Lb granulated sugar

wine yeast, nutrient, pectic enzyme.

water to 1 Gallon

Make sure your sloes are really ripe for a great tasting wine

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
maver said:
................for playing sneaky tricks on your nephews

I may be in a minority of one here, but I actually quite like the taste of sloes. But then, I do occasionally eat lemons, and I'm partial to eating all the rest of the mint sauce after I've finished my Sunday dinner.

Pappa

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Pappa said:
I may be in a minority of one here, but I actually quite like the taste of sloes. But then, I do occasionally eat lemons, and I'm partial to eating all the rest of the mint sauce after I've finished my Sunday dinner.

Pappa

Phew, I'm not the only one! Vinegar on toast anyone? :p

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
We have an old pear tree in the garden so laden with pears that it's struggling under the weight.

That's why the Sloe-and-Pear Chutney caught my eye. Any foraging tips for sloes? I.e. can they be confused with anything poisionous....

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Biddlesby said:
That's why the Sloe-and-Pear Chutney caught my eye. Any foraging tips for sloes? I.e. can they be confused with anything poisionous....

Pretty easy to spot and difficult to confuse with anything else IMO.

Tree has long sharp thorns on it that are the same colour as the bark and can really hurt.

Prunus_spinosa2.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE