OT growing veg

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It would appear so. I just read a similar defintion on a website. TBH though I've never seen ANY tomatoes over 3-4 feet tall. I may have to try something a bit diferent next Spring to experiment.

Last edited:

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
TBH I never really take any notice of what type they are, I grow both determinate and indeterminate and apart from pinching out the side shoots (45 deg shoots between truss and main stem) I let em get on with it, if they get too tall (over 6ft) I'll pinch the top out to stop them.

Currently growing:

(I)San Marzano --> Pasta sauces/passata
(D)Principe Borghese --> Sun drying
(D)Rio Grande --> Passata
(D)Sub Arctic Plenty (Heirloom) --> Good all round salad/eating tomato
(I)Gardeners' Delight --> Large cherry, good salad/eater

Si

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have never had outdoor toms work. If the rain hits them they get blight, everytime. The only thing I found that works outside is a plastic teepee around them that keeps the rain off the plant and then water the roots.

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
xylaria have you tried the F1 varieties? Thompson & Morgan have a few blight resitant strains as do most other sellers I suspect.

Ferline, Fantasio, Legend, all worth a go, there's a list HERE of some more varieties.

I don't suffer from blight here, (touch wood), but my GH is pretty small so I have to grow the eating varieties outdoors as I need the space I have for my plum varieties.

Si

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Not supposed to remove anything from determinate (bush) tomatoes. :)

This year we are growing.
Ailsa Craig
Gardeners delight
san marzano 3
Green Grape
Tigrella
Sweet olive
Romada
totem
outdoor girl
marmande
golden sunrise
alicante
white cherry tomatoes ( imported the seeds)
100's & 1000's (hanging basket, best producer i've ever seen)
tumbling tiger ( hanging basket)
black cherry

Mostly just one plant of each, apart from the san marzano, GD and 100's & 1000's :)

I also have seeds for a Tomato "tree" ;)

TBH I never really take any notice of what type they are, I grow both determinate and indeterminate and apart from pinching out the side shoots (45 deg shoots between truss and main stem) I let em get on with it, if they get too tall (over 6ft) I'll pinch the top out to stop them.

Currently growing:

(I)San Marzano --> Pasta sauces/passata
(D)Principe Borghese --> Sun drying
(D)Rio Grande --> Passata
(D)Sub Arctic Plenty (Heirloom) --> Good all round salad/eating tomato
(I)Gardeners' Delight --> Large cherry, good salad/eater

Si

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I have never had outdoor toms work. If the rain hits them they get blight, everytime. The only thing I found that works outside is a plastic teepee around them that keeps the rain off the plant and then water the roots.

100's and 1000's are outdoor toms for hanging baskets, i got about 400 tomatoes off one plant last year. Also "outdoor girl" do well out side, and if the amount of flowers on a truss is anything to go by then its going to produce plenty.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think blight depends a lot on location - if you are round areas where there is lots of toms and spuds grown, it tends to be harder as the disease has lots of places to remain. Similiarly given its airborne, if you are in a wind shadow you may be okay - in Lincolnshire - forget it!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah, blight's a big problem in Florida too but I never worried about it at all in Mississippi. Location's a definite issue.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
LOL. Thanks Red. But TBH without anything in there for perspective those only look 3 or 4 feet tall. I know they are though, else you wouldn't have posted them.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They were well over head height - and I'm 6' :) The pots at the bottom are 15" high

Mind you they were grown in glass houses and in heavily manured soil

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Only been growing for a few years my self so i too am a beginner.
Few things I have learnt so far.

Dont plant everything at the same time or the harvest will be all at one. This does mean your neighbours and family will eat well but you will not.
Too much ummin n arin and you will miss the windows, just get it in the ground its cheap and you have nawt too loose.
Remember where you planted stuff, little plastic markers help.
If your not growing in certain bits bare soil = weeds so put down some cheap screen and woodchip as this saves on weeding.
Only plant what you are going to use so look at your favourite meals and staples. No good growing acres of parsnips if you cant stand em.
Dont over water most things. If you do you encourage shallow roots and when its dry the roots wont have the depth to reach the water below.

Just get stuff sown, read the packet and just experiment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE