OT: furry seller

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Abbe,

What does Abbe fur look like :confused: :confused: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Tell you what though - I bet theres a few on this site would like to buy some furs from you! Me included (unless their reindeer skins - they always seem to end up shedding when I have them)

Red

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Like that: :D
fox_pictures009.jpg

fox01.jpg

dried01.jpg

cheers
Abbe

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Don't want the skin off the left one at the top ta ;)

Whats that at the bottom - I'm guessing reindeer but it look huge ???

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aah lack of a visual reference scale - always my downfall!

So what hides and furs do you get mate?

Red

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
I can get Fox, marten, mink, Squirrel, reindeer and moose.
If I am lucky I can get some skulls, antlers etc

The only problem are the custom controlls, as each nation has its own restrictions.
We dry the hides here but to get them into the uk I believe every fur has to be chemically treated. Thats what I heard at least, I never mailed a fur before, so I dont know yet. Would be cool to figure out but its a real hussle to get straight answeres, I tried it once and got real frustrated about all the controll aspects.

I dont know either if fox and red Squirrel is a protected art in england, here it is not.

cheers
Abbe

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Red Squirrels are mate - fox's can't be hunted with horses and hounds any more but no worries shooing em.

Well if you ever get into the export business, I'd love a moose skin - I can see myself in a mooseskin coat :)

Red

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
British Red said:
Red Squirrels are mate - fox's can't be hunted with horses and hounds any more but no worries shooing em.

Well if you ever get into the export business, I'd love a moose skin - I can see myself in a mooseskin coat :)

Red

moose skin is not good, what you want is baby reindeer, soft and warm, from them you can make youself the same type of anorack the inuit have.

cheers
Abbe

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Baby reindeer - that'll get people going :)

So why do all the reindeer skins I'va had shet hair Abbe? Are the badly tanned? I've heard somewhere that they dry out in some way if kept indoors (never had the problem with any other skin though)

Red

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
British Red said:
Baby reindeer - that'll get people going :)

So why do all the reindeer skins I'va had shet hair Abbe? Are the badly tanned? I've heard somewhere that they dry out in some way if kept indoors (never had the problem with any other skin though)

Red

There might be two reasons for it, you got fur from a reindeer which got killed in winter time. The fur looks very pretty but is only good to hang on the wall but not to use it. Usually these hides are sold in the tourist shops as they look so cozy, often too they are chemically tanned. I bought such a thing when I came up here, until the boys told me that was rubbish.

They buy the autum killed reindeer furs. The fur is short and trimm and you can sit on it or lay on it for some years. All reindeer furs are giving off some hair but the autum ones are living longer. We too here only use them dried, that means that they are not soft on the fleshy side, on snow they get all wet and the naturclue is activated, they too survive longer than the chemial tanned onces.

The are only good to have outside around the fireplace, you dont want to have them inside, they stink. Keep you reindeer furs in a cool and dark place in summer time. I have some wonderfull Sami reindeerboots which are now laying in my freezer. That tip I got from a old Sami woman who made me the boots.
So, if you have it hanging in the sun they drie out and spoil.

Hope this answeres all your questions!

cheers
Abbe

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fantastic help as always Abbe - have a rep point and my thanks. I really fancy a warm, large, long lasting fur that doesn't mind being in the warm as well. Kind of like a 7' long sheepskin <g>

Red

AlbeoLupus

Forager
British Red said:
BTW,

Sorry for the thread Hi-Jack Mr Wolf :(

Red

It's not a problem, it keeps the link high in the lists which means more peeps will see the link and maybe use the site.

I know the stuff on the site is of the highest quality as re-enactors whouldn't have it any other way. Which is the owners primary sales area.

Andy :cool:

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
British Red said:
Fantastic help as always Abbe - have a rep point and my thanks. I really fancy a warm, large, long lasting fur that doesn't mind being in the warm as well. Kind of like a 7' long sheepskin <g>

Red

sheepskin is wonderfull, I was reading that the sami while traveling with the reindeer sledges use lamm sheepskin to put their new born babys in. They added some warm stones too, there was a real technic in the way they did it but I cant remember how they did it. I have to look it up again.

//Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE