Osprey mk IV MTP Medic Pouch - any users?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hoping for some advice here please.

I quite like the look of the Osprey Mk IV MTP Medic Pouch.

I was wounding how flexible this might prove to be in practice, as it looks to have a very good storage layout for any one of a number of First Aid setups.

So, if anyone is using one of these, I'd be grateful to know how well it functions in actual use and how you are using it.

Thanks for looking.

Best Wishes,
David

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
looks like a rapid deploy trauma kit (FFD, Morphine Tourniquet etc...) can't say I'd have much use for it bouncing round the woods myself.

I have no idea what you plan to use it for but there are better admin/1st aid pouches out there...

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
looks like a rapid deploy trauma kit (FFD, Morphine Tourniquet etc...) can't say I'd have much use for it bouncing round the woods myself.

I have no idea what you plan to use it for but there are better admin/1st aid pouches out there...

Which particular pouches would youbrecommend as being better?

Many thanks.

Best Wishes,
David

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
there are load sof options out there it depends on what you after,What kit you plan to carry and what activity you plan to be doing when you want to get at the kit?

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
now I tend not to carry a FAK but I am always looking for a better way to carry my brewing up kit, lasts years kit is now no good, not saying I might go back to it next year :) it all depends on why you want to carry the Osprey Mk IV MTP Medic Pouch.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
It isn't waterproof and the straps add unnecessary weight unless you are actually fixing it to Osprey.

If you need something of that design, I'd recommend getting one the same colour as the pack you are attaching it to, ie MTP packs = MTP pouch. Then work out how you will waterproof the contents?

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
there are load sof options out there it depends on what you after,What kit you plan to carry and what activity you plan to be doing when you want to get at the kit?

I've looked at lots of the other 'bags'/'pouches' on the Market and despite being called 'adminpouches' and organisers, most of them seem to actually offer very little in the way of organisational facilities.

One of the maxpedition first-aid pouches merely has two zipped mesh pockets on the interior - no actual way of organising anything.

I want a FAK pouch where I can get to and retrieve the item I need without pulling most other things out too and having to place them on a work surface or - worse - on the ground.

That's why I'm attracted to the Osprey pouch - the internal 'tool roll' approach seems to offer the best way of retrieving items without juggling all the other items in the same pocket.

The only pouch I've seen which seems to offer something similar is the 'Condor Rip-Away Pouch' but they are quite difficult to get hold of in the UK (unless someone knows of a link please).

So, if you can advise me of something better, which doesn't just have zip pockets where everything is jumbled together, I'd really alleviate it.

I would want to take the kit with me on day trips up hills/mountains activating SOTA locations (Summits On The Air).

Thanks for reading.

Best Wishes,
David

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I've looked at lots of the other 'bags'/'pouches' on the Market and despite being called 'adminpouches' and organisers, most of them seem to actually offer very little in the way of organisational facilities.

One of the maxpedition first-aid pouches merely has two zipped mesh pockets on the interior - no actual way of organising anything.

I want a FAK pouch where I can get to and retrieve the item I need without pulling most other things out too and having to place them on a work surface or - worse - on the ground.

That's why I'm attracted to the Osprey pouch - the internal 'tool roll' approach seems to offer the best way of retrieving items without juggling all the other items in the same pocket.

The only pouch I've seen which seems to offer something similar is the 'Condor Rip-Away Pouch' but they are quite difficult to get hold of in the UK (unless someone knows of a link please).

So, if you can advise me of something better, which doesn't just have zip pockets where everything is jumbled together, I'd really alleviate it.

I would want to take the kit with me on day trips up hills/mountains activating SOTA locations (Summits On The Air).

Thanks for reading.

Best Wishes,
David

condor pouch you've mentioned is sold by military1st.co.uk

they also have several others by quite a few others

http://www.military1st.co.uk/combat-gear-utility-pouches/

also worth looking here

http://www.tactical-kit.co.uk

for the tactical tailor range of pouches

but most recently I've been using tazmanian tiger gear, first rate german design with excellent build quality and a decent price tag

Last edited:

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Many thanks for the link -much appreciated.

Is the pouch easy to use in terms of getting items in and out of the tiered pockets.

Best Wishes,
David

i'm down south at the minute on my way home. I'll take a photo of my kit later or tomorrow night.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
The photo's of mine as promised sorry it took me slightly longer than planned. This is the condor rip away pouch.

IMG_2597.jpg
Attached to my Filbe assault pack

IMG_2602.jpg
Folded out

IMG_2601.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_2599.jpg

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
Many thanks - I think this has persuaded me to go with one of these.

Your input is very much appreciated.

Another minor question - where did you source the medical patch for the pouch?

Best Wishes,
David

jepomat

Dec 4, 2014
Bern

Thanks for reading.

Best Wishes,
David

I've had that very Osprey pouch for two years. The internal organization beats that of any other pouch I've had or looked at. It's got a lot more options, in particular elasticated straps/holders of all sizes (including small ones which are always missing in other pouches), in addition to allowing the complete removal of the rolled-on nylon sheet to which the elasticated straps/holders are sawn. In fact, to save weight, I have been using that insert alone in my backpack. It's got its own handle and is easy to grab and take out of the backpack, before being unrolled on the ground. Last, but not least, I've seen it available for 12 GBP from UK stores (used - army surplus). Get one, if it doesn't do what you want, which I doubt, you wouldn't be set back a lot, really. I'm thinking of getting another one and cut the inside sheet with elasticated straps/holders to size for other gear I have yet to find a home for.

Just my two cents.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE