Oslo city centre, worth a visit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I may have a day or two to spend in Oslo. Are there any decent outdoor activity shops to visit? Any McDonald's or KFC? What can I do to kill time in Oslo?

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Get the water boat across to visit the Viking Ships Museum and the Norwegian Folk Museum (a collection of old houses). Both very well worth a visit, but especially the ship museum.

Geoff

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Get the water boat across to visit the Viking Ships Museum and the Norwegian Folk Museum (a collection of old houses). Both very well worth a visit, but especially the ship museum.

Geoff

Just what I was going to say, both of these are superb and well worth a visit, the Kon Tiki museum is there too, too much to do in a day. The Viking boat museum is just the most amazing place, the ships, the building, awe inspiring. In Oslo itself the museum is good with a huge collection of Viking swords etc. I am told the Opera house is a stunning building to see but was built since I was last there. If you fancied a day out and are into Viking ships, axes etc you could visit the build of the new Oseberg ship a short way south at Tonsberg.

JimmyT

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Relocated to Sweden
I remember Olso as an attractive city but not exactly cheap.
I don't eat McBurgers but if cash is an issue you can often find whole grilled chickens in supermarkets at a reasonable price - that was my old stand-by on Scandinavian travels.
If cash is not an issue you could take a roughly 20min train ride out to the nearby town (with I think, city status) of Lilleström. Here (apart from a small outdoor clobber outlet on the corner opposite the station) you will find Jorn Jensen - one of the few outlets in the world selling the Jörn boot:

http://www.jjensen.no/stovler.html

The XXL sportshop has previously been mentioned, but I also looked into this place for some Devold Extreme baselayers:

http://www.oslosportslager.no/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE