Original Lofty Wiseman knife sharpening

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 16, 2017
west sussex
Hi all.

I've owned the LW knife now for many years. It has been used a lot in the past but then its been stored and forgotten about. Holes dug, abused, hammered etc...

A mate who is a butcher sharpened it for me many years ago, it was sharp but not what I'd call professionally sharp.

Is there anyone in the West Sussex area or any companies members would suggest may bring this knife back to life. Be good if its fairly local as could drop off and pick up.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers,

Sid

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I'd avoid using a commercial enterprise. The majority just stick it on a one-size-fits all electronic sharpener which will do your knife few favours.

Best advice is to buy yourself a sharpening system and learn the skill yourself. Will prove far cheaper in the long run, and will mean you an keep any knife you own, be it bushcraft, kicthen, or other, and not have to put up with a blunt (and therefore dangerous) knife until someone can sort you out.

ambiguous

Jul 6, 2013
yorkshire
I also think learning to do it yourself is invaluable. If however you didn't fancy learning at this point I'd be happy to sharpen it for you if you paid the shipping.

Apr 16, 2017
west sussex
Totally agree, to learn the skill properly and to be self reliant is the correct course of action.

I do sharpen all my other knifes mainly with DMT diamond and other ceramic sharpners. I always strop

and polish all my knifes too.

Not yet got into the grit stone stuff, don't think it'll be long before I do though.

I've topped it up over the years with diamond stone and its certainly not blunt.

Thanks for the push, I think I'm just being lazy :)

Any recommendations for sharpening kit for a knife of this length. There are 3 angles on the blade too,

wondering how you could replicate this accurately or is it worth sticking to the 20 / 25 degree angle for

the whole blade, never really noticed the difference but it suggested that the different angles proved

more useful for differing applications.

Thanks for the replies and thanks ambiguous for the offer, I'll give it a bash and see how it comes out

with my existing kit.

Cheers,

Sid

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I decided not to spend too much money, and just bought the spiderco tri-angle sharp maker. I use it on every knife I own (many, and many varieties and blade configurations) and it does the job just great, and takes next to no time or effort. Then just a few passes on a strop and they're shaving sharp again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE