Opportunity - Jokkmokk Winter Market - January 28th - February 5th 2017

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Damian, Deb's and I are hiring a luxury Cabin at the Jokkmokk Camping Centre for the week of the Winter Market. 28th Jan to 5th Feb. It has three bedrooms with single beds or bunks. A kitchen/living area and a sauna. We will be using two of the bedrooms but that leaves one available for one or two people.

We would be looking to share the cabin costs equally between all occupants. The total price for the cabin is 20740 SEK

Divided between four it would be 5185 SEK each ( ~£ 443 At today's exchange rates.)

Divided between five it would be 4148 SEK each ( ~£ 355 At today's exchange rates.)

Bedding is available for hire from the site at an extra cost. 175 SEK ( ~£15 At todays rates.)

Please note these exchange rates may change before the trip.

You would be responsible for your own travel arrangements, food and personal equipment for the conditions. (Usually very cold, circa -10/-40°c Deep snow off tracks.)

This would be a great opportunity for someone wanting to visit the market but not ready to camp out in such conditions.

You can find my trip report for our last visit here.

And information about the Market can be found here.

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Wow, a great opportunity for somebody, hope to see you there, out of interest and broadly speaking, what are prices like at the market, is it going to be a second mortgage your thing out are prices reasonable, I know that's a bit vague.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The prices are reasonable for the quality of craftsmanship in my opinion.

I'm told you can sometimes get stuff cheaper elsewhere but there are few places you can find the variety of goods and sellers compared to this market.

I look at stuff and think "Could I make that in less time than I can make the money to buy it?" and in most cases the answer is no.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Thanks for that, I would like something as a memento of the trip, something that I wouldn't get elsewhere, not sure what though.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Thanks for that, I would like something as a memento of the trip, something that I wouldn't get elsewhere, not sure what though.

Same crafts, dried reindeer meat, reindeer hide,...... a lot of 'must have' stuff !
Of course - some local non crafts too. Local food, cheese, handcrafter crackerbread, you name it, it is there!

Well worth it, I have been several times in the past.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Food wise, I'll plough through that on the 4 days I'm there, it will have to be reasonably small due to my pack size as it is, maybe a seeing kit or knife, I'll see when I get there I suppose.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The Swedish Postal Service ( Posten) is very good to send stuff to UK. So no worries about the size if your pack!

It all depends on your budget, but a real kåsa is a joy to drink from. A Reindeer skin is the best insulating sleeping mat.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Do you know where you will be camping yet? We could arrange a meet up.

No, just booked a pitch, you could let us know what cabin is yours, or we can swap numbers ( is there a phone signal ) or if you know where you will be at a given time we could try and meet then ?

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Guys has anyone a good lead on flights? Cheapest I've seen on sky scanner were near £400 is that reasonable?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
We are flying with SAS from Manchester to Stockholm for about £130 return per person. This gives us a stop over there before taking the sleeper train to Murjek for about £250 return per person. ( Lots of good museums in Stokholm.)

Total return trip about £380 if that is any help.

The train is cheaper if you don't book a sleeper cabin I believe but it's a long journey.

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Here's a link, you can mess about with the airports etc to tailor it to your needs

LINK

Of course it does depend on where you're flying from and to, there are closer airports if you're just going to Jokkmokk, you could look at flying to Stockholm and on to Gallivare and then coach down to Jokkmokk ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE