Operating temperature of a honey stove?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Anyone have any idea how hot the walls of a honey stove get when used as a wood burner? I am looking to try modding my stove with neodymium magnets but they have a working max temperatue of 80 deg C so I think I may be wasting my time.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The stove walls will get a lot hotter than 80 degrees with a good fire. What's with the magnets anyway?

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The stove walls will get a lot hotter than 80 degrees with a good fire. What's with the magnets anyway?
Neodymium magnets are super strong and very small - I wanted to get rid of the fiddly slot in attachment mechanism and just use magnets - found some Neodymiums that go to 500 deg C. Not good enough?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Neodymium magnets are super strong and very small - I wanted to get rid of the fiddly slot in attachment mechanism and just use magnets - found some Neodymiums that go to 500 deg C. Not good enough?

If they're good for 500 degrees C they'll be OK for temperature, but what about water ingress? Rare earth metals are very susceptible to water damage (like ferro rods, the active ingredients in them are rare earth too), so rare earth magnets are usually plated with nickel or something like that. The plating won't keep moisture out indefinitely and then your magnet will be, er, toast. :(

How about using ordinary magnets?

PS austenitic stainless isn't very good at sticking to magnets. :(

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
If they're good for 500 degrees C they'll be OK for temperature, but what about water ingress? Rare earth metals are very susceptible to water damage (like ferro rods, the active ingredients in them are rare earth too), so rare earth magnets are usually plated with nickel or something like that. The plating won't keep moisture out indefinitely and then your magnet will be, er, toast. :(

How about using ordinary magnets?

PS austenitic stainless isn't very good at sticking to magnets. :(

Wanted to use the strongest/smallest magnets I could for safety reasons given it needs to hold up a pot of boiling water. Will be testing stability shortly, but some of these will pull 2kg - they're also triple coated.
http://e-magnetsuk.com/magnet_products/neodymium_magnets/rod_magnets.aspx and the steel will be "gripped" between the magnets...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE