Opening Green Coconuts (video)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
This afternoon my kids asked me to open a few green coconuts so we shot a video of how to do it.

Here at home I use a coconut tool. If I was headed to a wilderness area that had wild coconuts or I owned a yacht I would definitely take one along as it makes the job much easier. I also used the 14 inch Tramontina Bolo to split them, which is the main use for this blade in the Pict household. Mac

OPENING GREEN COCONUTS

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Green coconut rocks. In Barbados they have stalls beside the road where they sell bottles of freshly cut coconut milk and plastic bags full of the "meat" or jelly as they call it. Or you can buy a fresh green coconut and they'll cut it open in front of you and give you a straw :D I was there last March with family and drank the stuff every day, chilled it makes a great mixer for the local Rum too ;)

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
We had fun yesterday putting that together. Being able to edit video significantly improves my parenting skills! My kids love bushcraft. When Daniel is bored he says, "Dad lets go out in the back and make fire."

Green Coconut water is extremely good stuff for thirst quenching but you run the risk of overdoing it and getting some loose activity in the intestines. The water is like a hydration drink. We always have a sack of them here at home. Mac

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I have seen that done in person on lots of streets and beaches. The thing is if you mess up you get to hear a finger or two hit the floor.

That little coconut tool saves alot of grief when you have to open several for the family. My daughter can open them herself with that tool. There's no shortage of machetes here but I only use them to split the nuts in half. Mac

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
A design for one of them coconut tools won a invention programme over in australia a few years back, http://www.cocotap.com/.

Though I'm not too sure on this method..

tappingdemo&

Looks like possible stigmata wounds in the making.

I was teaching fish technology at a FAO course in Kavieng, PNG in 1989.
I remember an excursion when we were on a nearby island, studying sea cucumber "trepang" smoking, when my local PNG colleague said: "You thirsty?" He rushed up the coconut tree we were resting under, came down with about 4 green nuts and then opened them for us (the flbaergasted Europeans) using only his bare teeth.
Now there's bushcraft for you!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE