One for the West Coast Mafia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Winters can be extremely cold in northern Scotland, so the owner of the estate felt he was doing a good deed when he bought earmuffs for his farm worker, Archie.
Noticing, however, that Archie wasn't wearing the earmuffs even on the coldest day, the owner asked, 'Didn't you like the earmuffs I gave you?' Archie replied, not wishing to upset his employer, 'Och, they are a wondrous thing.'
'Then why don't you wear them then?' Archie explained, 'I was wearing them the first day, but somebody offered to buy me a drink and I didnae hear him.'

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
_46545590_weegiead466by300.jpg

'Nuff said.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
BBC Scotlands Catriona Shearer having problems.

[video=youtube;n2EFuoPPBj4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2EFuoPPBj4[/video]

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
I lived in Scotland for nearly a decade, from Campbeltown, Stranraer then on to Elgin. Loved it! Now I'm back down south and there's nowhere to hang my hammock or make a fire :cussing:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Come back Ed, we forgive you for moving away. There isn't much in the way of punting action as you may remember and was probably the reason you moved to Oxford anyway.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Scottish village gets a "sister city" — on Mars
Many cities and towns around the world have a link to another city or town far away, for friendship and cultural exchanges. The village of Glenelg, on the western coast of Scotland, has announced it will "twin" with another place with the same name. Glenelg, Mars, is the designated name of the spot that the Mars Curiosity rover is headed toward. Officials in Glenelg, the Scottish one, held an official "twinning" ceremony on Oct. 20. It was a smashing success, and pictures are posted at the Glenelg and Arnisdale Community Portal. Although there were no Martian natives at the ceremony, American astronaut Bonnie Dunbar did attend.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I worked for HS in Glenelg primary school one day. Beautiful place, lovely people......the most hair raising single track road down to the clachan though :yikes: A classic example of a place that was primarily accessed by water. The road looks like an old drove road that's been tarmacked.
The brochs are superb examples, and well worth a visit :D Some idiot'll be claiming they're cooling towers for the Martian's landing craft next though :rolleyes:
It was a good day :cool:

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
[video=youtube;e53nCHorx-M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e53nCHorx-M[/video]

In case you'd forgotten about STONEYBRIDGE!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Needed a wee Friday morning cheer up.[video=youtube;m8AggJ3_Xf0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8AggJ3_Xf0[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Came across this today and just made me think of all those silly little thoughtless moments we have.

[video=youtube;ePmF1YVBxgo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePmF1YVBxgo[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Came across this phrase today and it made me think of you all on here, Wammilin coocavie, it means boiling kettle in Perthshire cant the tongue of the tinkers. Good wee article here. LINK

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
A Glasgow lad had moved to Edinburgh and thought he'd gotten the "You'll've had your tea?" brigades accent down pat. He'd met a lass and decided to stock up on supplies at the local chemist to keep himself smelling sweet.
After looking round the asked the posh looking lady behind the counter "Deodorant please misses?"
To which the Morningside lady replied "Ball or aersol?"
Shocked the young weegie stammered "Eh no misses it's fer under ma arms."

:lmao:

Perfection

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I worked for HS in Glenelg primary school one day. Beautiful place, lovely people......the most hair raising single track road down to the clachan though :yikes: A classic example of a place that was primarily accessed by water. The road looks like an old drove road that's been tarmacked.
The brochs are superb examples, and well worth a visit :D Some idiot'll be claiming they're cooling towers for the Martian's landing craft next though :rolleyes:
It was a good day :cool:

M

First school I went to!

Keep on driving over to Arnisdale, then an hour in a boat, and that's where I grew up ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You're one lucky man, Ronnie :) it's a beautiful bit of the world and the people were lovely to meet and work with :cool:
You can tell an awful lot about the people by how their children treat others.

I was out in the garden earlier and loving the smells of the flowers in bloom and the leaves as I brushed past them. HWMBLT can barely smell them, but I think the smells of childhood are still with us.
Not just the baking and dinner cooking, the jam making, etc., but the furniture polish, the stuff that cleaned the hearth, soap, washing coming in off the line, the tablecovers being ironed, shoe polish, Grandpa's pipe :rolleyes: the coal smoke smell of the fires lit at the start of Autumn, back to school and they'd varnished the floors and the desks, putty at the windows, sawdust in the butchers.....my Uncle's 90, he says he minds things like the watercarts that were used to spray the streets in Summer to keep the dust down before they were tarmac'd; only the Main Street and the cross were cobbled. He minds the taste of the water from every different well too, and it was all good, sweet water, none of this processed chlorine filled concoction, it was sand filtered by Mother Nature herself.....why the villages were built here probably. He says he minds the smell of the ink in school, and the chalk, and the sandstone smell as they sharpened their lead pencils on the school windowsills outside at playtime. Funny enough I know what he means about that, my Granny's cottage was sandstone built and it soaked up Summer sun and radiated it back at us, and so does the Castle. Spent a lot of Summers playing around sandstone walls and it smells warm and somehow of home, in the heat.

Wonder if the bairns of the folks who lived in the brochs all those hundreds of years ago thought the same thing ? :)

M

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Wow, hell of a post.

It's true that smells are one of our most powerful memory triggers.

I'm sure many of those broch dwelling kids had experiences similar to ours - despite having harder and shorter lives. Playing in the bracken and the burns, smelling ozone as their fathers worked the schist

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Matt McGinn- The Big Effen Bee

[video=youtube;Q1Z1V5cSWU4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Z1V5cSWU4[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE