One for the makers......I'm Curious?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
One for anyone to chip into but this is directed at the knifemakers on this forum......

This is a question that occasionly rolls round the back of my head.

We all know about the Alan Wood Woodlore, it's supply problems and subsequent increase of prices on evil-bay and the like.

I saw one today for £495 :eek:

I am curious.....if i wanted a woodlore pattern knife made by either someone on this site or BB, what would £495 get me :confused: :) with regards to blade materials, handles and sheaths.

My past recolections of catalogues would lead me to believe that things like damascus blades would be well within this price range.

Let your imaginations run riot and lets see what we can get for the ultimate £500 knife :D

PS this is for fun only...i don't have £495 to spend on a knife (worse luck)

leon-1

ArkAngel said:
I am curious.....if i wanted a woodlore pattern knife made by either someone on this site or BB, what would £495 get me :confused: :)

If you are married there are a number of possibilities,

1. Divorced.
2. Castrated.
3. Committed to a nice place with lots of white padded walls and not to mention your own designer jacket with sleeves that do up around the back. Welcome to planet thorazine:D.

If you are single,

1. A decent knife, a trip away / short course and a few other goodies and a night out with the lads.
2. Something made from damascus steel that could melt the heart of the most frozen bushcrafter and probably a hangover celebrating the fact.
3. Enough frosts mora's that you would never have to care about it.

If you are unemployed;

Lots of questions from the benefits agency:D

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Very Nice!

That is the sort of thing i meant! :You_Rock_

It was just an interesting thought i had. I have seen some wonderful looking knives made by people on here with regards to blade design, exotic woods for the handles and tooled leather sheaths. I don't think i have ever seen one advertised for over £250 (in this case obviously £300!!!)

I know the woodie's price is dictated by the popularity of Raymondo and the lack of availabiltiy i was just wondering what could be done theoretically with a skilled knife maker and £500

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
ArkAngel said:
It was just an interesting thought i had. I have seen some wonderful looking knives made by people on here with regards to blade design, exotic woods for the handles and tooled leather sheaths. I don't think i have ever seen one advertised for over £250 (in this case obviously £300!!!)

A lot of that is because of being such a small market. There are a number of knives that don't sell which are a real bargain. A lot of the makers are just hobby makers so generally want a bit of beer money and the cost of materials covered.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
You could probably get a nice hand forged damascus knife, tapered tang and distal tapered blade with mammoth ivory scales for that sort of money.

well i found this by SWC for offers around £270
which even makes the std price for a wood lore stupid considering its pretty much identical in pattern etc

God knows what he would make you for £495

Knives016.JPG

Knives010.JPG

SWC website

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
FGYT said:
well i found this by SWC for offers around £270
which even makes the std price for a wood lore stupid considering its pretty much identical in pattern etc

That's a cute thing, Dunc.

Still trying to work out what I'd do with a knife to put it up to that price...

Hand forged, pattern welded steel (and an interesting, labour intensive pattern at that).
Something along the lines of mammoth handles, as previously mentioned.
Maybe mokume-gane bolsters? Heck, if I were going to get really carried away I'd put some gemstones onto it - maybe pick out the Plough & Orion in some small gems. It would already have passed the point where I'd regard it as a daily user, so might as well go the whole hog...
Engraving on the blade? By this point, I might balk at inlaying gold into the engraving. Depends on the labour that has gone in to the previous stages.
Elaborate sheath, probably inlaid. I know, any excuse :)

ESpy said:
That's a cute thing, Dunc.

yes thats the word
i like the handle still simple and elegant but i dont like the blade etching looks dirty from a distance and as its carbon steel i guess it could trap dirt moisture rabbit guts etc and may rust and pit easier also difficult to get out after

other than that i fink i will havea go at some of the features when i try mine
as its mostly fileing :eek: and i retires from an office to get away from Files :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
leon-1 said:
If you are married there are a number of possibilities,

1. Divorced.
2. Castrated.
3. Committed to a nice place with lots of white padded walls and not to mention your own designer jacket with sleeves that do up around the back. Welcome to planet thorazine:D.

If you are single,

1. A decent knife, a trip away / short course and a few other goodies and a night out with the lads.
2. Something made from damascus steel that could melt the heart of the most frozen bushcrafter and probably a hangover celebrating the fact.
3. Enough frosts mora's that you would never have to care about it.

If you are unemployed;

Lots of questions from the benefits agency:D

:D :lmao:

In *my* household (or Tiffers, I suspect ;) ) You'd get the cold shoulder until you let me play with it too! :cool: :eek:

Beautiful craftsmanship on that knife :notworthy , but I agree it'd be a something special type blade, though it'd probably wash quite well, you'd just need to watch for the handle getting too wet.

Cheers,
Toddy

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
ArkAngel said:
I am curious.....if i wanted a woodlore pattern knife made by either someone on this site or BB, what would £495 get me :confused: :) with regards to blade materials, handles and sheaths.

I've often admired Magnus Axelson's products. This rather nice Damascus blade with Ironwood and mammoth ivory is slightly above your price but much of his stuff is half the price and quite as beautiful.

He hasn't got prices on his website but it's well worth a look just for the dribble factor.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE