on camp storage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I have just received this:

http://absolut-canoe.de/Kochen.php#FRAME CAMP KITCHEN

I haven't "tested" it yet, as I'm waiting for my sleeping bag to arrive so I can keep warm when out, but it's really nice. Just over 50cm square and 26 cm deep.

It's not exactly ultralight, but not heavy either. In fact, it's much lighter than one would think.

I have no other affilitation with Absolut Canoe than me being a happy customer, and I can't wait to try it out (it will be transported in my Adirondack Guide Boat). I am thinking of adding some leather "back pack" straps to it, so one could carry in on the back with a small drybag on top.

how much was it?

edit ------------------

woha ....279,00 EURO

/edit ------------------

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
LOL, I know that feeling. It hurt my wallet too. I had to wait because HG Wagner (the builder) had to produce a run of them, so he manufactured 6 or 8 of them, and one of them was sent to me. So grab one while you can ;)

At least one of the camp kitchens from the new run has a dark "box" and light coloured frame (i.e. inverse of mine and the one in the pictures).

I can take some pictures of it with my Petromax 500 (it's huge) and perhaps some other stuff for size comparisons if you want me to. Unfortunately I don't have one of those dual fuel lanterns that you have, so I can't do that comparison.

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
how much was it?

edit ------------------

woha ....279,00 EURO

/edit ------------------

LOL, yeah. But in the big picture, it isn't dearer than my oars on their own. Another comparison is one of my stoves - I think I paid 160 Euro for my Optimus Nova+, so this is just 110 euro more than a multifuel stove.

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
I'm sorry about the lack of quality in these pictures, but it will have to do.

The tent peg I have hanging is for size. It's one of those Easton tent pegs. I believe it is 165mm long. The big pot standing in the frying pan is a 2.9 liter etapower pot, and the frying pan diameter is 220mm. The plastic bottle in the right lower corner is a square 1-liter nalgene.

I just realised I forgot to show a little box that also comes with it, and I didn't take a picture of the drawers, but that too is doable if you want.

Anyway, here are the four pics:

L1050872.jpg

L1050869.jpg

L1050870.jpg

L1050871.jpg

If you notice, there's a little piece of wood missing in the lower left corner. That is thanks to GLS, but Albert from Absolut Canoe is sending me the piece so I can glue it on.

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
I didn't have the pictures, but I have taken some more low-quality ones - I hope they're good enough.

I also have to apologise for posting this many pictures. It wasn't my intention to spam you guys with pictures when I signed up :)

L1050875.jpg

L1050873.jpg

L1050876.jpg

L1050877.jpg

L1050878.jpg

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
:lmao::lmao:

He's got a point Drew :p

Yup, but a candle lantern - even with an oil insert - doesn't give that much light, and heatwise it's a deadbeat compared to a Coleman or Petromax :D

I have a brass version of the UCO lantern with an oil insert, and compared to my Petromax 500, which I have equipped with a steel nozzle and radiator, it's absolutely worthless.. The Petromax (the one the pictures) throws out enormous amounts of heat. Excellent on cold days in the Lavvu. Of course, it's just a tad too much in my Akto. In the Akto, the Uco-one is king.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Human eyes are remarkable things, they adapt to different light levels if you give them a chance.

The problem is most people never give them that chance.

Some people seem to insist on taking gas lamps capable of illuminating a stadium or head torches that could dazzle an airline pilot into other peoples camps as if we aren't clever enough to do it ourselves. They are then surprised when people get annoyed because it'll be at least another 30 minutes before we can see properly again.
7983.gif

I dislike head torches and never use them in company, I despise gas and petrol lanterns unless being used in a field hospital or some other such environment where lives actually depend on good illumination.

When out on my own I do most things by touch and firelight, a candle is more than enough light for most tasks.

Give you eyes, and the eyes of others a chance...

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
Wow, yes, you certainly seem to despise them. But a closer look at your argument seem to suggest that it's a certain behaviour you don't like.

When I have my light lit in my Lavvu, it doesn't make the lavvu into a green lit cone. I have a lamp shade for it, and my tent has a silver coating on the inside (it's a Frisport). There is nothing there to annoy anyone. But really, if you get annoyed at me having a Petromax in my tent because it will destroy your nightvision if you enter, then you have my permission to not enter my tent. In fact, I'd prefer it if people just stayed away from my tent.

Come to think of it, I very seldomly make camp close to anyone, so I can't for the life of me see why I - or Drew, for that matter - should even consider an opinion based on some behaviour ascribed to the tool at hand.

Oh, btw, even a candle lantern will wreck havoc with your night vision if you accidently look at the flame. A fire in your firebox will do the same.
I have a Gerber Recon Task Light used to discern fluids and so on, and to preserve my night vision when that is needed.

I don't mind having my night vision screwed up for ten minutes. I very seldomly have to preserve my night vision when I'm warm and cosy in the tent.

Maybe it's just me, though ...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think Wayland was probably referring to the meets he and Drew attend, when Drew's probably in his hammock with the light hanging from the tree maybe. Not really inside a tent in private but on display ready to blind all innocent bystanders.

I think Drew probably knows we're only jesting anyway.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
yes i do know this shewie and do understand were wayland and u are coming from but in regards to the lanturn and the bell tent cos now i have a bell tent that plan to use i will use the lanturn in there and it will be a lot less of an issue and also oarsnpaddle thanks for sticking up for me but these two wind up merchants are some of ny good friends and i am sure i will get them back at some point

drew

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
How about a Mule bicycle trailer (or similar) eg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raleigh-Uti...BCXI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1290027784&sr=8-2

The towing arm and wheels are held on by clips so you can easily convert it to a 'box' shape and so store it in the boot of a car.

I have one which I have 'borrowed' from my daughter. The large wheels are good when you have to tow it through mud and the actual trailer is light so you don't have to be super strong to lift it (fully laden) into the boot of the car.

You could also use it for bicycle touring it that is your thing

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
Nice chuck box there Oarsnpaddle,

is that made from a bit of furniture or from scratch?

It's made from scratch using two different thicknesses of marine plywood with a solid wood frame to hold it all together. The carry handles on the one on the website is a little different than the new ones like mine.

I like to think he was inspired by seeing pictures of my boat, he he (no need to keep my feelings of grandeur capped, right?).
This is my boat - you can probably see why I thought that the "frame camp kitchen" was just the thing for it (it looks much wider than it really is)

L1050415.jpg

L1050498.jpg

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
have a look a fishing tackle boxes etc, they are also used as seat, easy to carry and hard wearing. check out evilbay for some real bargains

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE