Ollie's latest project - Pen base. Teaching 'em young part 2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi, Both Ollie and Paul (his dad asked me to pass on their thanks for the comments you posted after Ollie made that milking stool the other week. What with going back to school and only able to spend a bit of time each evening in his dad's workshop he finally decided what his next project was. Paul didn't influence him at all.

Now Ollie is the proud owner of four pens, three of them in camouflage that his dad's made him over the years (more details about that here) So rather than have them scattered about on his desk willy nilly Ollie decided to make a stand for them. I have to say I REALLY like this, like it so much I might have to steal it when I'm in the UK next. I doubt he'd even notice until I'm on the ferry heading back home again MUHAHAHAHAHAHA! Bet he'll hide it from me now. Or only let me look at it with my eyes and not my hands.

Anyway here are some pix for your viewing pleasure of a kid with a helluva lot of potential as a woodworker ahead of him.

Well done Ollie! Uncool Aaron's well impressed and proud of you! Oh and thank for the homage shirt you're wearing in the last few photos, very cool :cool:

Finding the centre. You can almost feel the waves of concentration coming off him in that first picture.

Having found the centre the marking out begins.

Turning the disks for the top and base parts.

On another night turn the spindles.

Cutting off the spindles using the ever delightful Dozuki saw.

Paul, being 6'6", takes great delight in height comments when I'm around, so I'm sure he suppressed a snigger or two at Ollie having to use steps to operate the pillar drill. But with both of Ollie's elder brothers being well over 6 foot already I doubt Ollie will need those steps for too many years.

Drilling the top.

Drilling the base.

Ollie doing his best Karate Kid impression... Wax on.... (note in the background one of Paul's latest projects, a segmented bowl with acrylic inlay pieces)

.... and wax off.

"So wotcha think Dad? Sell it, keep it or give it to Uncool Aaron for Christmas?" (HINT HINT!! :lmao:)

Indoors and all loaded up with his pen collection. (That's another bowl Paul's done on the left in the pic, my other Christmas present no doubt :lmao:)

And here it is without the talented Ollie getting in the way in the pictures.

Thanks for looking folks. Comments welcomed please, if only to encourage Ollie to keep this up. He's justifiably proud of this latest creation but like all newbies is a tad nervous about showing it off to the great unwashed public. (Yes you... hehheheheheehe)

Well done Ollie it looks AMAZING!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ha must say "Uncool Aaron" (that's gonna stick) that Ollie's work looks better and more considered than a good many adults I know. Very neat stuff to a really high calibre. I'd be dropping hints like mad too to get one of those. Did you say he made the pens too? also pretty cool.

Biker

Ha must say "Uncool Aaron" (that's gonna stick) that Ollie's work looks better and more considered than a good many adults I know. Very neat stuff to a really high calibre. I'd be dropping hints like mad too to get one of those. Did you say he made the pens too? also pretty cool.

Thanks for the praise GB. No he didn't make the pens, his Dad did. But I suspect it'll only be a matter of time before he tries his hand at one of those soon.

I sign my Birthday and Christmas cards to my nieces and nephews Uncool Aaron, having known Ollie since he was born he's my adopted nephew now and he seems to like me, despite the beatings I give him... which he gives back too. No respect for their elders kids these days! Grrrrrr :nono:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
yep looks like a cabinet maker in the future well done ollie it must be genetic regards dave
ps hi Aaron

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great stuff :) Way braver than my self. I have a lathe in the corner of my shop but the thought of jamming a bit of wood in it, spinning it and then sticking sharp metal tools in the way is just beyond me ;)

Great finish.

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Very well done indeed young man ,keep up the good work goodjob

Ps You have done better job of that ,than some joiners I know ........bojit ....hehehehee!!! sorry Craig couldn't resist

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Very well done indeed young man ,keep up the good work goodjob

Ps You have done better job of that ,than some joiners I know ........bojit ....hehehehee!!! sorry Craig couldn't resist

Cheers Jason , some mornings I struggle to put my hands together but that's the arthritis brought on by the years of hitting my hands with hammers .
Good job Ollie , that should outlive Aaron by a few years .
You could do a design for jag009's crayons , how many colours are you up to now Jason ?:p

Craig. .......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE