Old'ish sheffield bowie type knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
I've not posted anything for sale for a while, so here's a blast from the past for you all!

If you're of 'a certain age' you'll probably remember lusting after one of these! The blade is 125mm, the handle a little under 100m. The blade has 'Black Eagle' and 'Sheffield, England' just visible on it along with what looks like a helmeted head with some kind of branch, or maybe antlers, sticking out of it. From what little I could find out about it, it's probably made back in the 50's.

The sheath isn't original, but, as I remember, it's pretty close!

beads3.jpg

Incidentally, the dust on the blade is pollen that landed just as I clicked the shutter!

I've tidied it up a bit and put an edge on the blade, so it's ready for the woods, or whatever else you guys can think of using it for!

So, price? How about £35.00 delivered.

Last edited:

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
I've always liked these too, but if I keep it it won't get the use it deserves, so off it must go!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... a blast from the past for you all!

If you're of 'a certain age' you'll probably remember lusting after one of these! ...

I've had this one
dscf3835.jpg

since I joined the Cub Scouts (over fifty years ago). It was a gift from my parents. I'd have been about seven or eight years old, so that dates the knife's purchase to the late 1950s or early 1960s. I believe my parents would have found the knife (for sale new) in the local army surplus store here in Alfreton, which traded as "Wakefield's Army Surplus" at the time. It came under various other ownerships in the ensuing years, finally being "Yeoman Outdoor" until sadly that outlet ceased trading just a few months ago. I think it's a fruit shop now!

The blade is 125mm, the handle a little under 100m. The blade has 'Black Eagle' and 'Sheffield, England' just visible on it along with what looks like a helmeted head with some kind of branch, or maybe antlers, sticking out of it. From what little I could find out about it, it's probably made back in the 50's.

The maker of my knife was one John Edward Bell, who occupied Room 8 at 14, Sycamore Street, Sheffield at least until about early 1952 when unfortunately a bankruptcy order was made against him. I guess that means my knife was made at the latest about 1951, possibly quite a bit earlier, and held in stock for some considerable time before being sold. I suspect that the blade blanks were made by some other maker and finished (with makers' stamps and so on) by the final maker in a chain. If they were all made by one supplier, he must have been a very busy chap!

The sheath isn't original, but, as I remember, it's pretty close!

The same style but probably quite a bit better than the one I remember, which I think my mother cut up to patch something, donkey's years ago. It was the sort of thing that she did in her dotage, bless her. I had one made by one of the makers here which is much better. They live by the wood burner now. The knife sees some action (both indoors and out) but there's too much sentimental value in it to take it out in the woods regularly and risk losing it.

As you say, a lovely little bit of history.

Nov 1, 2015
sheffield
hi recently read you post about the john edward bell knife i believe him to be my grandfather do you have any more info on him and where did you get your info from do you want to sell the knife? i would be greatly interested to hear from you fegards edward bell

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I do like old Sheffield knives. I got my first one back in the 60's it was stamped "John Nowill" on the blade. Well it was stolen more than a decade ago alas, but they are still made. Recently I have purchased a Bowie blade and a Dirk blade from the company that now owns the trademark for John Nowill knives. The Bowie blade was straight forward from stock, but the Dirk blade was delayed for several weeks whilst I waited for it to be hand made and finished. I fear there will be nothing left of Sheffields proud blade making past soon.

Nov 1, 2015
sheffield
I've had this one since I joined the Cub Scouts (over fifty years ago). It was a gift from my parents. I'd have been about seven or eight years old, so that dates the knife's purchase to the late 1950s or early 1960s. I believe my parents would have found the knife (for sale new) in the local army surplus store here in Alfreton, which traded as "Wakefield's Army Surplus" at the time. It came under various other ownerships in the ensuing years, finally being "Yeoman Outdoor" until sadly that outlet ceased trading just a few months ago. I think it's a fruit shop now!

The maker of my knife was one John Edward Bell, who occupied Room 8 at 14, Sycamore Street, Sheffield at least until about early 1952 when unfortunately a bankruptcy order was made against him. I guess that means my knife was made at the latest about 1951, possibly quite a bit earlier, and held in stock for some considerable time before being sold. I suspect that the blade blanks were made by some other maker and finished (with makers' stamps and so on) by the final maker in a chain. If they were all made by one supplier, he must have been a very busy chap!

The same style but probably quite a bit better than the one I remember, which I think my mother cut up to patch something, donkey's years ago. It was the sort of thing that she did in her dotage, bless her. I had one made by one of the makers here which is much better. They live by the wood burner now. The knife sees some action (both indoors and out) but there's too much sentimental value in it to take it out in the woods regularly and risk losing it.

As you say, a lovely little bit of history.
hi do you still have the john edward bell knife? he was my grandfather would love to see a picture of it i've never seen any of his work thankyou regards edward bell

ged

Jul 16, 2009
hi do you still have the john edward bell knife? he was my grandfather would love to see a picture of it i've never seen any of his work thankyou regards edward bell

Hi, and what a pleasant surprise to be talking to the grandson of the famous maker!

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Hi, and what a pleasant surprise to be talking to the grandson of the famous maker!

(I don't know what happened with my earlier attempt, the wife got involved and things went awry...)

The picture that I posted is back in place so you should be able to see it by clicking the link in my original reply from way back in July 2013.

I see that you asked about it in 2015 too but I didn't see that post until just now. For a very long time the old BCUK site was occasionally throwing away emails which were meant for a few unfortunate members, including me. Tony tried to do something about it several times but nothing worked until the site was completely replaced by the current one.

Anyway no, I don't want to sell the knife, but I'll consider gifting it to you in my wil... :)

Ged.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE